Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Dropsy Plague - I'm At a Loss For What To Do

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by sara.thors, Aug 9, 2017.

1. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry about your fish, we've all been there at one time. I also suggest 100% weekly WC, thoroughly cleaning the sand/ decor, and cleaning one filter once a week in dechlorinated water. I would try this before using any medication and harmful disenfecting chemicals.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

dropsy in my opinion can be caused by many different things. It can be caused by bacterial, virus, and environmental. I believe that dropsy are symptoms of secondary conditions such as organ failure or other systemic issues with fish. I think you need to clean your filters more often. Do larger weekly water changes. I would use those plastic gloves when you place your hands in the tank, Take a look around your home and make sure that no sprays or other environmental issues are getting into your tank. Do not mix import fish with local fish store fish. Purchase your fish from the same vendor do not mix with other fish. I believe like what nolaveils stated earlier that imports carry a bunch of pathogens that remain dormant or in the fish for a very long time. When you start mixing imports and other fish this starts reaction for the pathogens to multiply.

3. sara.thors

sara.thors Member

This is great! I'll take all tips to heart and make a list of what I need to do to improve. Thank you again!

4. Breann Thurman

Breann Thurman Well-Known Member

Do keep us updated and if you have any more questions feel free to ask! :)