Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Duckweed and Snails?

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by MKintoun, Aug 22, 2015.

1. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

So I just received duckweed today that I bought on EBay. I bought it in hopes that my goldfish would find it a nice snack, plus it may help decrease my nitrates in the long run. This is also the first time I've ever added a live plant to my tank. I dumped the leaves in a strainer, gave it a "good rinse," drained it, and then put it in the tank. Afterwards I saw 3 snail shells at the bottom, immediately scooped them out and put them in my 1 gallon bucket. Looks like 1 of the 3 is alive.

So now I'm a bit scared for my fish; I have a bad feeling that I might have introduced some bad bugs/parasites into my system. Is there any preventative measures that I can do to make sure there isn't a breakout? Can duckweed withstand salt?

2. GfFan

GfFan Active Member

I have read that Hydrogen Peroxide is good to use for sterilizing new plants but I have not tried it myself. I am not sure if it matters if you have already put it into the tank though. And snails can carry parasites on them, but maybe you won't have to worry about that if you took them out in time.

The best thing to do now is just keep your water conditions good, feed good food so they get big and strong and healthy, and deal with parasites if you see any sign of them later.

3. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

Thanks for the input, GfFan. The snail shells were in there for maybe 10 minutes max before I took them out. I've also turned on my UV light on my canister filter as an extra measure. Hopefully it will do some good.

And I definitely will take extra good care of them! They get plenty to eat and are only growing bigger every day :) hopefully there isn't anchor worm...