Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Duckweed is dead?

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by jboy2k83, Feb 8, 2015.

1. jboy2k83

jboy2k83 Active Member

Hello! I buy some duckweed in Ebay. But when i got to my house many duckweed is turning into yellow and black, so i wonder are this duckweed is not good anymore?

2. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

Yellow and black is pretty dead. But if there are some green, pick them out of dead duckweed. They will propagate quick if you keep them warm (70-80F) and under bright light. Put some fish poop in the container with duckweed as fertilizer.

3. jboy2k83

jboy2k83 Active Member

It's so many black and yellow mix with the green. I bought over 3000 duckweed. It's will take me forever to pick out the black and yellow duckweed out. lol:eek:mg:

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

you just need to pick out the green ones from the black and yellow ones.
    It will take less time to pluck the green ones out, than to pluck the black and yellow ones out.
    Focus on what you need vs. what you don't.
    If only 30% of them are green, only focus on those.
    It should take less time to pluck out the 30% that are good, than to go through the 70% that are bad.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  5. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

You can pick a few dozens of live duckweed and start a new culture as a back up.

Put the rest (mixed live and dead) into a separate tub and let it be. The dead matter will deteriorate and feed the live duckweed. Over time it might turn into nice live colony.

6. Arctic Mama

Arctic Mama Active Member

If you can actually kill duckweed completely, I can think of a few biologists who would love to hear from you ;). It's hardy stuff, and as everyone else said just a few living pieces are enough to grow a fresh batch in fairly short order. Were you able to rescue any of it?

7. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

Green water kills it in short order, I've done it a bunch of times. I guess the algae outcompetes it for water nutrients before the duckweed can cover the surface and block out light.

8. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I have a very hard time keeping the stuff alive in the summer. And yes, green water kills it.