Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Egg Bound Oranda

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Cheyenne B., Jan 6, 2018.

1. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

IMG_8323.JPG

Malachi has been swollen all week. She's been chased like mad by the males as well. This morning when I woke up, she was hanging around at the surface, breathing heavy, and refusing food. She was also more swollen than before. I removed her, put her in my tub with a heater, sponge filter, and air stone. I also added a half teaspoon of epsom salt.

I tried to massage her and that didn't work. Her abdomen is very soft and air like. Suggestions?

2. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I don't recommend attempting to hand strip without knowledge. This can kill the fish. I've never had a bound female but I suspect some breeders here would know what to do. I hope one chimes in soon. Wishing you luck! I wish I could help more.

3. Cheyenne B.

I have massaged before with positive results. Had to do it with my Ryukin last year. So far, she's a bit more active in the tub, maybe she just needs a break. Hopefully, she'll release or reabsorb them soon. It usually doesn't take this long for her.

4. calicomj

I've never had a female get egg bound. A few of them did get all fat and eggy last summer, but I have like 5 girls and 20 boys so the boys just beat the crap outta the girls and they always released them quickly. I've heard people say leave ONE boy with an eggy girl. This way multiple boys aren't beating her up, but also there's a boy to encourage release of the eggs. Not sure though.

5. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Try putting her in a tub with a spawning mop and see if she will release them on her own. You can put a male in to help. I’ve also heard that over cooked sloppy rice fed to the eggy girls helps. To be honest, I don’t know how the rice works but I’ve just heard that it does. It could be an old Asian remedy to promote spawning.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

6. Cheyenne B.

She's in a tub with epsom salt and heater. More air in her abdomen today. I don't have a spawning mop. There's no where to get one here either. Ice storm heading our way, so we are pretty much stuck in the house.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  7. Cheyenne B.

IMG_8329.PNG

Here's a shot of the vent. I also found a DIY mop that I think I can make here.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  8. orangecrush

If you have yarn, you can make your own. I’ve made several out of different types of material and my fish spawned on all of them. I’ve never bought a spawning mop, I’ve only made them. You can too.

Good luck, Jim.

9. Cheyenne B.

I have the yarn, going to get cork shortly before the storm hits. What makes me nervous is that she's still denying food. I tried to feed her a shelled pea, but she wouldn't take it.

Once I get the cork, I'll make the mop. I may also try to put one of males with her to see if that'll help.

10. orangecrush

Try the sloppy rice. That is Gary Haters fish spawning technique. Add some garlic.

Good luck, Jim.

11. Cheyenne B.

IMG_8332.JPG

Spawning mop and male are in. So far, he isn't interested. Funny, considering he's the one that's been so agressive all week.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

spawning may occur when the storm moves in, I believe that low pressure systems trigger spawning behaviors. Please be safe

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  13. calicomj

There's always a chance that the fish isn't eggy. The males could have stressed her to the point of developing an illness and what you see may be retained fluid from a bacterial infection or something. If she will not eat anything and is not improving, honestly I would begin to treat this as an infection and consider medicating.

14. Cheyenne B.

I left the male with her for a few hours. I watched them closely and found him to never bother her. As if he wasn't interested at all. I offered her food, she refused and is currently hiding behind the spawning mop. All pet stores have closed in my area and they will be tomorrow due to the storm. All I've got is Kanaplex.

15. orangecrush

Did you try the rice?

Good luck with her and the storm. Please take care, Jim.

16. calicomj

The fish will not eat so the rice will not help. I suggest using some of the Kana if that's all you have. Harsh and IMO not ideal but her symptoms are worrying me.

17. Cheyenne B.

She wouldn't eat it. :(

18. Cheyenne B.

I added Kanaplex last night. I'm all out of ideas. I have no idea what's going on with her. I haven't checked with her this morning, the ice storm is moving in now. If I still have power, I'll post an update shortly.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

what does her belly feel like. Is it hard or soft and mushy.

20. Cheyenne B.

Soft and air-like