Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Egg Bound Oranda

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by Cheyenne B., Jan 6, 2018.

1. Cheyenne B.

Cheyenne B. Well-Known Member

I've got the meds. Should I do a total water change and take the Kanaplex out and then add the Metro? It's been over 24 hours since I added the 2nd round.

2. Cheyenne B.

I went to my local pet store this morning and got the API General Cure. I also talked to the owner, who is very knowledgeable about goldfish. I was shocked to have seen him there, as usually he's not. I told him about Malachi and showed him photos. He is suspecting some sort of GI bacterial infection. He did say that he has had success in the General Cure with illnesses that aren't directly associated with anything in particular.

This morning, Malachi is still active and refusing food, however the swelling is gone. She's back to her normal size. It seems as if she's reabsorbed her eggs, as there was nothing on the spawning mop.

I did a 100% water change and added the metro. I withheld the Kanaplex. I'm hoping she'll start eating again soon!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  3. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

I would take the Kanaplex out and add the Metro. And I agree that the Metro would work better for this type of illness that doesn't seem directly water quality related.

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

feed only gel foods or peas once she starts to eat again, slowly work you way back to her normal diet

Cheyenne B. likes this.
  5. calicomj

Can I ask why you recommend this?

6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

the bacteria in her gut may be weakened due to having a compromised immune system for her current issue. If she truly has had an egg bound issue and has had to reabsorbed them that can also be stressful. Lastly the fish has not eaten for over week, why not start off with soft gel foods that are easily processed rather then some of these dry foods that can be more difficult to absorb and pass through her system

7. Cheyenne B.

As Joe said, I agree. With my patients at the hospital who had stomach issues, I always recommend they go back to their normal diet slowly, as the gut is still regenerating itself. If you slam it with burgers and fries, you are gonna have issues. If you eat saltine crackers and peanut butter, you are less likely to have problems.

This probably sounds silly comparing fish to humans, but you'd be surprised how much of my nursing background I use with these fish.

joe likes this.
  8. calicomj

Thanks for replying. I agree, as well. But, if you slam your gut with burgers and fries in general (not just after a bout of food poisoning) you're going to have problems regardless. Same applies to fish. Unhealthy food in high amounts will lead to unhealthy fish. Doesn't take a nursing degree to know that!

With that said, perhaps adding more gel foods in general might benefit this fish. After all, she WAS bloated.

9. Cheyenne B.

UPDATE: Malachi is still the same as yesterday. The 1st round of metro has been in about 18 hours. Still not eating nor producing waste products.

10. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

It sounds like she might have a sore mouth or throat which makes eating painful. I'll suggest a rather far-out suggestion. Get some Omega One goldfish flakes and offer these, breaking up the large flakes. Sick fish find these easy to swallow.

You can also try syringe feeding.

joe likes this.
  11. Cheyenne B.

I'm willing to try anything at this point, I'll give it a shot! I think I have some of these from a previous video I did. Let me check.

12. Cheyenne B.

I did have some, never even opened. She refused.

13. calicomj

She will continue to weaken while she isn't eating. It might be time to try the syringe feeding.

14. Cheyenne B.

I syringe fed right after trying the flakes. After all was said and done, I tried 3 mls of gel food. She took maybe 1/2 ml.

15. calicomj

Better than nothing. Be sure to try again later. Pulling for her.

16. Cheyenne B.

Once I fed all the fish their dinner, I tried her again. She took a full 1 ml this time around. I left a little in the tank, just to see if she may nibble on it through the night.

17. Cheyenne B.

Malachi ate almost a full ml this morning. She still has no desire to eat for herself right now. I'm getting ready to do a 100% water change and add the second round of metro.

18. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

When you say she ate this morning, was that by herself or by being force fed?

19. Cheyenne B.

Force fed.

20. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Ok. I was hoping that she had eaten on her own.

I wish you and your girl the best, Jim.

Cheyenne B. likes this.