Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Emergency fish issues!

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by MewTwo, Jan 30, 2016.

1. MewTwo

MewTwo Member

Greetings humans, fish, aliens, and other.

I've kept goldfish for years, but this is a new one for me and I'm beginning to panic.

My grandmother had a 25g fish tank, which was stupidly overstocked. I didn't want to be mean to the poor women, because she simply adored those fish, so I left her be. Well she passed away about a week ago, and suddenly I found myself with nine goldfish in a twenty five gallon tank.

See, Im in a bigger issue than originally thought. I saw them at first and said, "yeah sure I can do this, daily water changes, and weekly tank flushing until I get the pond out back finished." Right? Wrong.

First, there appear to be common goldfish, one is huge ( about 4-6', including tail) and the other commons appear to be either stunted or juveniles. There's a really tiny (maybe) fantail, and three definite fan tails whom are much larger. Lastly, there is what appears to be a shubunkin, but I'm not sure because it's mouth is really tiny. There's also 3 of what I believe to be cory catfish in there.

Now that we have background out of the way..

For the first few days everything was fine. Then, Ich was suddenly EVERYWHERE. I used Nox-Ich, which I've used very successfully before, and it seemed to go away after the first treatment. Then one of the goldfish died, and the Ich exploded again. Now, the shubunkin has horrible looking fins, and I've never seen this happen. Ever. And I've had a shubunkin before. Today all the fish are acting very lethargic, exept f
    The cories who are just acting normally. I tested the water and there IS ammonia (obviously) but it's very low, and I did a tank flush yesterday. I added a bubbler a few days ago to oxygenate the water better, and have a filter going without carbon to keep the Nox-Ich in there. At this point, I'm not sure what's on the shubunkin. I'm at a loss. It LOOKS like Ich, but it's only now on the one fish and after a full treatment nothing had changed. In fact, it's gotten worse. The ends of the fins are red, and almost fuzzy. I desperately want to five these fish a break from the Ich medication, but as that's what this looks like, I've continued.

Should I trim the fins to get the infection (if that's what this is) off? If so, how should I go about doing thus? I've never had to trim a godlfish's fins before.

I have a 600+g pond being built out back (I'm in the country, so it's not hard to find space XP ) where they will end up, (is it OK to put fancies in a pond?) once i get this issue solved and the darn thing actually gets finished, filled, Ect.

I would include a picture, but it don't know how. (Well, no, I did figure it out, but apparently every pic I take is too big.)

2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

It should be fine to pond them once you have it up. I got a lot of fancies with my single fins in my pond..

3. MewTwo

MewTwo Member

Thanks =) still worried about the shubukin, though.

How do I upload a pic? It keeps saying it's too big.

4. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Try uploading the photos to photobucket and then embedding them using the little photo icon at the top of your new message. :)

5. MewTwo

MewTwo Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If the pictures show up, that's what I'm seeing. What is it? I've NEVER encountered this, and I've seen everything from worms to columaris..

6. MewTwo

MewTwo Member

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  7. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Try going into the settings on the camera (or smartphone camera app) that you're using, and reduce the size of the image taken, most of todays smartphones capture in like 2,300 x 3,200 or some other really high pixel dimensions, try to reduce it(the output image size) down to something like 1080x720. Alternatively you could use a photo editor such as Photoshop or Gimp(Free) to reduce the images size. Upload the images to Photobucket or Facebook, then copy the images URL from where you upload them (photobucket, facebook, etc). click the insert pic icon next to the smiley, and paste the URL into your message here on the forum.
    *Here I have done it from copying the URL from the uploaded image on this forum;
    [​IMG]

As for the fish, I think it'd be best if you could get a couple of plastic tubs with air stones/sponge filters going in them and divide them(the fish) up. With that many fish in a 25g, they're likely very stressed. Keep the lights dimmed.

CaliGold likes this.
  8. MewTwo

MewTwo Member

I would but I'm so far out that it would take a few hours to drive into town, and I don't get my paycheck for another week, so I can't buy that sort of stuff until then =\ for now! I'm trying to identify what the goldfish has! and if it's contagious. If it is, then I'll look more seriously into setting up some makeshift tanks.