Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Fancy going Back

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by Gold-Fish, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

Hi All

I came across this forum whilst looking for UK breeders of fancies, something which there seems to be an absolute dearth of, that or I'm looking in the wrong place. I'm based in the UK, Manchester to be exact

My fishkeeping goes back to the early 80's where I started out with my dad keeping fancies, undergravel filters & the like. I moved on from there to tropical, pond, marine and now I've arrived back to what I started with, Fancies. Obviously Fancies have moved on somewhat.

My set up will be a 300l tank, externally filtered so I'm just looking for a couple of pointers. I'm specifically looking at breeders because the LFS fare don't really inspire me and I don't mind spending more for the quality.

So really just a couple of questions
    • How many fancies am I likely to be able to keep in that size.
    • Would anyone know of any breeders in the north
    Thanks in advance

2. DCSteve

DCSteve Active Member

If you figure 20 gallons per mature fish, and a liter is roughly a quart, that's no more than three fish. Some may say four but I think it's pushing it. As to breeders, I can't help you there, pilgrim.

3. DCSteve

DCSteve Active Member

It's tempting to get a lot of fish but if you have two or three, you get attached to the little guys, or in my case a little guy and a monster, and wouldn't want to degrade their quality of life. Fewer fish means fewer water changes and happier fish.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

Star fisheries is one decent option to look for in UK.

5. Iaidoka

Iaidoka Well-Known Member

Hi Gold-Fish, I am new to these fancies as well but been keeping tropicals before.
    As I understand 40 liters per goldfish seems to be a good size, which means that you should be fine with about 7 fish in total, I suppose more experience people on here will be able to give you better advice, personally I always believe that if your water quality and filtration is up to par then one might think of overstocking.

6. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

Yeah a few other people had pointed me in that direction. The choice they have is much more than I've seen elsewhere

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

7. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

40l !!!! Really. Most sources I've seem says at least 70l & some even more. What is it you keep out of interest?

8. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

Yeah I get this, that's what I tended to do during my cichlid keeping days

9. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

Many thanks, this is closer to what I've seen in the main from most UK sources I've read.

I'm double filtering (I always do).

10. Iaidoka

Iaidoka Well-Known Member

Well at the moment keeping 2 smallish ranchu's in 85L with water changes twice a week Wednesdays 50% and Saturdays 70% with a sponge filter, been thinking of adding a cannister filter probably an eheim if I decide to go that route. and yes already planning on upgrading to at least 250 liters. my intent is keeping 3 Ranchus, 2 Ryukins and one Oranda.

By the way where in the Uk do you live? northern counties? spend three year of my youth in Oxford.

11. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

Star Fisheries are by far the biggest supplier of fancy goldfish in the UK and they cover everything from pet shop quality to excellent fish. ( with prices to match). Other than them it would be breeders. That then comes down to the variety and time of year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

Yeah that's kind of what I'm hoping for In my tank, but maybe a Lionhead, a Ranchu & a couple of Oranda.

How they finding that 85l?

Not northern counties, up north. Well Manchester

13. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

Yeah he does seem the only place where I can get what I want and he's quite good at coming back via email.

Seems breeders are a no go, I literally can't find anyone, no one seems to have any information or at least aren't willing to pass on

14. fantail1

There are several Goldfish societies in the Uk. The GSGB being the largest. None as far as I know release members details to non members. It is a matter of privacy and security. What are you looking for?

15. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

Just some better quality Fancies. I have to say I've not come across this before, in each of the other parts of my hobby over the years I've never had any problems getting in contact with breeders.......just seems very selective that's all

16. fantail1

There aren't many people who breed quality goldfish in numbers and when you think that there are 15-20 varieties that dilutes the numbers further per variety. If there is nothing specific you are after Star Fisheries are your best bet.

17. Gold-Fish

Gold-Fish Member

Yeah that's seems to be the case and I suppose as you say with that dilution that's why I'm struggling.

Looks like it's Star them.......this could get expensive