Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Fantail suddenly dead?

Discussion in 'New Members' Area' started by QuoththatRaven, Jan 19, 2016.

1. QuoththatRaven

QuoththatRaven New Member

Hey there, I'm not new to fishkeeping, but I am new to goldfish. Mum got me 2 fantails the other day out of the blue so I set them up in my spare 20 gallon. I know this isn't big enough for both at full grown, but it would do for now as they are only about 1-1.5 inches.
    I've been cycling the tank with them in (seeing as I didn't know I was getting them) and have been doing 50% changes twice daily for the last few days and testing parameters every day.
    So far I've been able to keep ammonia to a minimum with prime and the water changes.
    But I walked out just before and found one of them floating, dead.
    They were both fine this morning when I fed them (about 7:30 it's now 10, I live in Oz), they have been energetic and happy despite me not being able to give them the cycled tank I would have liked.
    Did mum get me a dodgy fish or are they really sensitive to ammonia? Is there something I've missed?
    I mean I've been keeping tropicals for 2 years or so now, I didn't think I'd have a goldfish die on me in less than four days.

Link to photo as I can't upload the photos (too large and I need to go to work)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B00fHQGwnuULWkJ3cTI1NWNlNWs

2. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

It's a little hard to cycle a tank when you take away the bacteria's ammonia. What about nitrites and nitrates?

3. CC11

CC11 Active Member

Just wondering if heat might have played a factor in it. I'm in BNE day time indoors before aircon is put on is almost 28c in the tank. I have changed my spray bar to increase water movement. BNE has probably had the lowest average temperature in many capital cities. I had a hospital aquarium set up for a few weeks just after xmas and it was allot warmer than the main aquarium. I was really surprised. Cheers