Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Feeding Guide

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by johnatoranchu, Jan 18, 2011.

1. johnatoranchu

johnatoranchu Ambassador

The problem with feeding is that we are brought up to think that a pinch of food a day is adequate but the reality is that is a starvation diet. It might keep the water cleaner longer but the fish won't grow. Look at your fish and if they are different sizes (ignore tail) choose the average one. Weigh it - this might sound scarey but it's quick and simple. Use a digital kitchen scale (grams preferably), dampen a piece of paper kitchen towel, place on the scales, switch on and make sure the scales are set to zero. Place the fish on the scales and record its weight; return fish to water. Multiply that weight by the number of fish in the aquarium. Ideally feed the fish between 2% and 5% of their body weight each day - as you are not breeding or showing, start off with 2%. Therefore, for example, if your average fish weights 40 grams and you have 5 of them in the tank then total weight of fish equals 200 grams. 2% of 200 grams is 4 grams therefore you need to feed 4 grams of pellet/flake food each day. Frozen bloodworm and other foods can be fed IN ADDITION to this. When you know how much dried food you need to give to your fish you can then decide how best to feed it. Several small feeds is infinitely better than 1 or 2 large feeds so an automatic feeder is a good idea if you are away from home during the whole of the working day. Please remember that increased food = increased waste = additional water changes and that as the fish grow they will need more food. Weigh the average fish on a monthly basis and recalculate food requirement.
    John

2. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

feeding

Hate to be remembered for this. Look at the waste, a good full balanced diet will have your fish making solid dark stool. When seen from behind or above the stool should come out in full long strands,not stringy, and full to the size of the anus opening. Unless you are feeding rice they should not look white.
    I like to tahe a large size pellet and put in a coffee bean grinder with the food I add fiber cereal. when this is done i put thru 3 sizes of strainers, I have food good to feed heavy body fish. helps to avoid constipation related swim disorders. Can feed the dust to fry, grade one to 1 inch and so on up the size line.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
    Evil Kitty and SimplyDez like this.
  3. yukoandk

yukoandk Active Member

My goldfish's stool is color of the food they eat, not always dark. Is this not normal, or dose this mean anything? Thank you.

small_ranchu likes this.
  4. elusiveracer

elusiveracer Active Member

It's normal.

5. suphi

suphi Ranchuist

It's fine as long as it's chunky. Mine is pink whenever I feed hotdog.>:)

6. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

You can also weigh the fish by zeroing the scale with a small container of water on it and then dropping the fish in for the weight.

7. joel08

joel08 Active Member

Hi that is a great technique for feeding fish at 2% their body weight each day. Can you tell me how many water changes roughly I should do per week and what percentages?

8. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

Of course this depends on your stocking density and how much you are feeding, but roughly speaking, once a week is a good target. You should get a sense of what the water quality is by looking for foaming at the surface, or accumulation of waste on the bottom. As your fish grow, you will need to either reduce the numbers or increase the water changes.

9. WittleFish

WittleFish Active Member

Feeding question

One of my two goldfish never seems to get enough food at feeding times. I feed them three times a day and he does not swim to the top of the tank, but stays at the bottom looking for food while the other swims to the top. He is a black moor and the other is a ryukin. My black moor was black when i bought him from pet smart, but is now orange and it seems that his tail fin is fused at the top and creates a triangle shape (has always been like this). He seems to have a bit of trouble swimming and does not get much food. My other fish has grown quite a bit sine I bought them, but he hasn't grown that much. Is there a different way I should feed him? I use sinking pellets and flakes.

10. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

IMHO, sinking pellets are best with short-bodied fish.

11. WittleFish

WittleFish Active Member

Hmmm.. Alright, thanks. I will keep that in mind. :)

12. goldfishntn

goldfishntn Well-Known Member

So, I ran into this 'Orandaologist' at a pet store. She is known for being very successful at breeding Orandas. She says that she has some large enough that they swim into her hand to be petted.
    She says that she feeds them this mix of bananas, boiled lettuce, apples and tuna fish. She feeds them twice EVERY OTHER DAY.
    I was feeding mine twice a day these high protein pellets. She says that too much protein can 'bloat' them and give them digestive and balance problems.
    She recommends that diet that I just posted.
    Now....I"m confused.
    These boys seem like they are starving all of the time if I feed them every other day, twice a day.
    I can't stand to see em be all hungry.
    So....
    I'm going back to feeding em like I was.
    At least they won't be chasing me looking all hungry.
    They don't waste much lol.
    What's up with all that what she said? Anyone else do that?
    TUNAFISH??? Bananas..every other day?

13. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Tuna fish

It seems that many of us feed tuna from a can and it is the primary food in most gell food recipes. Try the gell food formula posted on this page in a smaller quantity and go to twice a day, but take care that you do proper water changes. Soft foods are a key to longevity

14. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Yeah! i gave the recipe a go.. well, i had to adapt as i didnt have access to some of the ingredients and it was getting a bit pricey.

but i used tuna from a can (in brine water?) and i do notice my fish have more wen growth, even the one that had none for the past 2 yrs. :D
    i alternate with hikari and the tuna. i find the pellets make my fish a bit floaty lol

15. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

I feed the gelrecipe from cincy (link below) and pellets, ive adapted the recipe a bit and use it with broccoli instead of turnip greens(too hard to get year round here). The expensive part is the freezedried BW, but i buy it in bulk now and it only costs a fraction of the jars in the stores.

If you are on a budget you can just aswell skip the BW, i think the tuna (in brine) is potent enough to provide excellent headgrowth. Also when you feed the gelfood and have experimented some, try and feed that recipe(without changing main ingredients) a couple of months, you will be very happy!

My ranchu are growing fast and are very healthy, some young fish and the fry still get sinking pellets in the morning. Pellets however became a grooming tool and the staple has become the tuna gelfood.

Using roughly 1 part of broccoli to 3 parts of tuna in weight prior to making the gelfood works best for me. The ranchu have a better growthrate and stay leaner then the ones on a pellet diet, especially the high proteine pellets are very fattening and are in my experience not suitable for older ranchu(1yr+) with short/deep build.

I have been experimenting a bit with the wheatgerm part in the gelmix, it should increase digestability of the gelfood but if the watertemperature is normal i do not add any wheatproducts.

I do have one important note on making the gelfood, if you are feeding small fish or fry, make absolutely sure the gelfood is as fine as it possibly can be. The larger fish dont mind a bit of chunk but fry have difficulty with it. For fry i would recommend to use a blender and prepare small amounts at a time to ensure there are no bits left.

Some usefull notes on preparing and feeding. When you have your gelfood ready, poor it out on a nonstick oven paper so you get a large tablet about 1/4th to 1/2 inch thick. Let that set in the fridge first. When it has set, cut into cubes appropriate for your tanks(1x1" works for me). Put the entire tablet or larger pieces stacked(with the paper in between) in the freezer. When it is frozen i bang the tablet and all falls apart into cubes which i store in zipbags in the freezer. Note it is important to set(couple of hours) the gelfood in the fridge before freezing. I defrost or just feed those cubes frozen, if frozen the cubes float for a little while and the fish have a volleyball match ;)

Good luck, this food is a must try!

http://goldfishkeepers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4041

16. goldfishntn

Interesting thats about what that girl was feeding. I've just never heard of anyone feeding that to a fish. lol. I thought she was off her rocker.
    So, looking over that it seems doable. And, if it's good for them and makes their wen healthy and grow..sure, I'll give it a whirl.
    But, I'm not really a cook, so I have a couple of questions:
    -Where does one get THREE cups of dried worms? That'd be crazy expensive at the pet store. Something like Amazon? HERE?
    -Gelatin:? Just knox Gelatin?
    -How often do you feed this?

Outside of the cook question:
    Until I get that process going, I have flakes and pellets. Alternate those twice a day?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  17. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

Like i said the FD bloodworm are best bought in bulk, if you are on a tight budget or just trying out the gelfood recipe you can make the gelfood without it.

Ive noticed someone advicing Kens' fish for bulk FD BW, but there are more online stores. You dont have to make alot of the gelfood the first time, i even would suggest to make a couple of small batches and see how the fish like the recipe. The fish do need to 'learn' how to eat the gel usually.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/freeze-dried-bloodworms.html

The unflavoured gelatine (no chemical additives) you can buy in the supermarket is fine.

The gelfood is just fed like pellets, make sure they have a bit more time to eat the food at first. I feed what they can eat in 5min or so, 2 times per day. You can also feed sinking pellets in the morning.

18. goldfishntn

What about just trying the gelatine, tuna, and a bag of frozen veggies.? Cooked and blended..?

19. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

If the greens are allready (pre) cooked you can just heat the veg in a little water, add the tuna and the brine(does not need to cook), blend all together and add gelatine according to the recipe on the package but double the amount of gelatine discribed on the package. The tuna in oil is unusable for gelfood. You can also add garlic or a multivitamin tablet crushed if you have that around. I let it blend over 10 min or so total.

I prefer 3 parts tuna to 1 part veg, but you can try with different mixes.

20. goldfishntn

Thanks, I'm going to try this. I have to wonder is there anything I WON'T want to do while making this?
    I was just going to thaw 1 part frozen veggies, 3 parts tuna in water, a multivitamin that I take and the gel , mix it up really well in a processor, pour in a pan, freeze and then break into small dime size pieces.
    would that work?
    I've seen people on Youtube do this but they get all exotic and put a bunch of stuff in it and I'm sure it's good for the fish..(Oatmeal? lol).
    But I wanted to just start with it simple.
    Is that recipe I put up ok to start with? How much gel for those two ingredients?
    Thank you,