Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Feeding Guide

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by johnatoranchu, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

If it works it works, make sure it is blended fine enough, it should look like off colour peasoup but thicker. And make sure it sets correctly, the consistency must be firm and when in the water it should not cloud. Start with double the amount of gelatine(see packet discription). If this clouds when thrown in the water or if eaten add more, if too firm and fish take a long time to break a chunk off, add a little less.

I cut the gelfood in cubes after it is set and refridgerated for a couple of hours, when i take it out of the freezer it breaks up into those cubes easily.

Oats are a great source of beta glucans, a prEbiotic that helps digestion. It also firms up gelfood in case it is too watery. I have tried this aswell, like many other adds it might be beneficial, i dont know exactly. Since you cant add very much of it i dont know if it is usefull, i think wheatgerm is similar to oats but you can add more of that without the gelfood becoming too firm.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Now THATS helpfull

Now THAT was helpful. I've noticed during necropsy that the intestinal tract can hold about as much as would fit in the eyeball of the same goldfish, so I've always told people feed the same amount as the eyeball three times a day. Now they have those fancy automatic feeders. With your information I can best use one of those. Thank you!:bounce:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  3. Ranchubooboo

Ranchubooboo New Member

Hello! I'm new on here. I have tree ranchus two normal gold ones and a calico one, and I have had them for three weeks now. I am currently "housing" them in a 29 gal with one small air stone, a sponge filter, and two small aqueous water filters (which are from my other smaller tanks). Too much? Let me know what you think.

I Have been reading the comments above, and I have not weighed them yet. I feed them two pinches of Hikari pellets, occassionally bloodworms. My boyfriend likes to feed them FBW but I tend to not like it as much. But we feed them two pinches every 3 hours. When I drop in the pellets, they rush for the food, but as it sinks to the bottom, they seem to lose interest and take awhile to consume the food. However my two gold ranchus keep swimming to the top as if eating food? I don't want them to swallow air. I don't think they are trying to get oxygen and they are perfectly healthy. Anyone have any idea of why they might be doing that?

P.s. I do 50% water changes every 3 days.

Any other advice is welcome!! Thank you in advance!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  4. Greenwater Fish

Greenwater Fish Member

I just made a video about how to feed goldfish. It's based on my personal opinion and experience. Hope it helps!
    also correction fyi, i said 10% of body weight per day for pellets, which is WRONG. what i meant to say is 1% LOL

Evil Kitty likes this.
  5. Greenwater Fish

Greenwater Fish Member

Hi!
    Congrats on the new ranchus! they are adorable aren't they!
    Depending on the size of your ranchu, your tank may or may not be enough for them. But ultimately, you will need at least 40gal of water to house three goldfish, ideally 60gal if you have the space and money to do so. (20gal first fish, 10gal each additional fish or more ideal formula being 20gal each fish)
    Regarding filter, sponge filter is good for biological filtration but it doesn't have enough mechanical filter power. The total flow rate that you want to aim for for goldfish should be 20xgal your tank size. So if you have a 29 gal, you will want to have 600 flow rate in total in order to have ideal filtration. Again, if you are overstocking your fish, you might need to change water more frequently. I see you do 50% water changes every 3 days, which SHOULD be fine. Or you can get a test kit to measure ammonia and nitrite levels.
    Re your last question, your ranchus might be used to getting food from the surface before they moved to your place. so give them a little time to figure out where to find food. If it seems that it takes them a while to finish the food, cut the amount or frequency down so that they can finished all the food within 2 minutes each time. As they get used to the new pellet and feeding style, I'm sure they will behave better.
    Hope it helps!

6. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

20x flow rate?
    Is gonna be like a hurricane in there. . Lol

7. Greenwater Fish

Greenwater Fish Member

my bad! thanks for pointing it out. it should be 10x gallon size/hour at least. so for 29 gallon, aim for 300gph. LOL sorry for some reasons I remembered 20x lol it might turn out to be a hurricane tank if use 600gph in 29 gal

8. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

6x turnover per hour, is sufficient.

9. RJR

RJR Member

10. RJR

RJR Member

Does feeding goldfish peas really help their digestion?

Ichthius likes this.
  11. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Yes, feeding cooked skinned peas two times a week will help with constipation and buoyancy issues.

Jim.