Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Feeding Schedule for Small Goldies

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by MKintoun, Aug 3, 2015.

1. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

I'm trying to fatten up two small fancy goldfish I got from my local LFS a little over 2 weeks ago. One is an 8 gram red cap oranda and the other is a 3 gram telescope. Currently them about 3-4 times a day with an assortment of foods: 2 different sinking pellet food, Soilent Green Repashy gel food, and frozen blood worms. The oranda is a much more aggressive eater than the telescope, but both appear to be round and healthy. When I last weighed my telescope, he/she was still 3 grams, but the scale doesn't read tenths of a gram.

Any tips/recommendations for encouraging growth? I am welcome to any suggestions! :)

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Give us some more information. How big is your tank? What do you have for filtration? How often do you change water and how much do you change?

3. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

Tank size: 50 gallon
    Filtration: Currently a HOB w/ 300 gph, switching to a canister soon that can go up to 525 gph
    Total # of fish: 3, the 2 mentioned above plus a 53 gram Lionchu
    WC Schedule: 80-90% every 3 days because the tank is still cycling. Once it's cycled I'll be doing 80-90% once a week.
    NH4, NO2, and NO3 are all at 0 right now because I just did a WC this morning, but before the WC I had trace amounts of NO2.

4. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

You might need a bigger tank. Remember, for three fancy goldies you need at least 20 gallons per fish = 60 gallons. Also, you will need that better filtration so that you can filter 10x your tank volume in gph.

As for fattening up your fish, I have heard that when you weigh them, feed them 2% or 3% of their body weight (per day) for young growing fish, breeders, and showing fish. For older goldfish, 1% body weight per day. Now, that is for their staple diet like sinking pellets or gel food. Frozen brine shrimp or blood worms would be as treats or supplements to their staple diet.

Are you feeding by just looking at them? Or by weight? Tell me about your feeding regimen.

5. Amy

Amy Active Member

The tank size is fine with three fish. The feeding regime is good as well. Keep up with the water changes and feeding and they will grow. Give it some time.

chocky likes this.
  6. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

Unfortunately I don't have the budget (or room) to upgrade my tank. I just bought the 50 gallon a few months back so I'll be sticking with it for a while. I did just install the larger canister and it sucks up all of the poop beautifully :) the tank is also almost done cycling! I did a large WC this morning and I had trace amounts of nitrites and ~10-20 ppm of nitrates.

All 3 are growing well, especially my red cap. I posted some side view pics of them in my post "Look at my goldfish babies!" I pretty much feed them by sight on my days off. When I have work I have an auto feeder that feeds them pellets twice before I get home. I then follow with either gel food or blood worms.

I weigh them every other WC, but I haven't really tried weighing out their food because my scale isn't accurate enough. I suppose since they've all put on some weight (probably around 75 g combined) I could just get a percentage from that. That would be around 2 g of food or more per day for all 3 of them.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    SimplyDez likes this.
  7. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

Weighed my goldfish today. Their weight is as followed:

Lionchu: 64 g
    Red cap: 17 g
    Telescope: 5 g

I feel like the telescope isn't growing too quickly, although technically speaking he/she has gained 80% of its initial weight. The redcap, on the other hand, is getting huge! Oh well, they're all acting healthy so it's all good.

SimplyDez likes this.
  8. SimplyDez

SimplyDez Active Member

Sounds good!

9. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

Weight day again!

Lionchu (Imo): 62 g
    Red cap (Tobiko): 20 g
    Telescope (Goma): 8 g

Not quite understanding why Imo is losing weight, she eats much more than the other two :\ but she's still acting healthy so that's what's important. I'm glad, however, that Tobiko is catching up!

As for feeding 2-3% of their weight... I feed them WAAAAAAY more than that. With their total current weight, I should be giving them about 2-3 g of food/day. I weighed out 1 g Saki Hikari pellets for the first feeding and it was scant amount to what I actually give them.

10. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

If the water temperature is between 76-85F and you feed 4 times a day, your fish should grow at a normal rate. When you get tiered of weighing your fish, just give them as much food as they can collectively eat in 5 minutes. Observe your fish for the signs of obesity and adjust. Change water regularly. And have patience, some fish grows slower than the other.

11. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

Thanks for the tips! I do, however, have questions about goldfish obesity. Google hasn't really given me any good info on it. What physical/behavioral changes should I look for if I suspect my goldfish are obese?

I do large water changes once a week, about 80-90%. They are all active little swimmers :)

12. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

The sign of obesity is enlarged rounded stomach (like they just ate a lot of food) that doesn't go away if you feed less. Although, females with a lot of eggs may have larger stomachs.

13. MKintoun

MKintoun Active Member

Weight day again!

Lionchu (Imo): 64 g
    Red cap (Tobiko): 27 g
    Telescope (Goma): 12 g

Tobiko is definitely the fastest growing one out of all three! His wen is growing big and he already has a ton of breeding tubercles all over his pectoral fins and a couple on his gills. Goma is also growing steadily, and I'm almost certain that she is a female. Her vent definitely points outward, but she is still pretty small and pretty young (maybe ~3 months). She probably won't have eggs for a while.

As for Imo, seems like she's at a standstill. She still eats well and overall acts healthy, but neither her weight nor length have changed much in the past month. Maybe she's spending all her energy on swimming? She often gets chased by Tobiko... Not sure.