Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Filtration question.....

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by Marielle2016, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Marielle2016

Marielle2016 Active Member

I just got a new tank for my three goldfish. They are all young about 1-2 inches standard length bought at the wrong place and recovering from fin rot and a too small tank. (Already discussing treatment etc on another thread... this one is just to discuss the filter I need to get)

They are now in a 40 gallon breeder tank with a Tetra ex45 hob filter. I do not plan to keep that filter on there. I only had $25 to spend on an emergency filter and this was the best to be had. I will (barring any unforeseen events) have the money to replace this filter in the next two weeks.

I would like to do a canister filter but the only ones that I can afford are the Sunsun with the uv (under a $100) or at a stretch the aquatop uv ones (low $100's on some sites to high 100s on others). (I would like the UV so I don't have to get a separate one. I think a UV would be beneficial while they recover from bad water quality and fin rot and whatever else they were exposed to, but I definitely don't have the money right now to get both so am hoping to combine functions.) Does anyone have any experience with either of these canister filters? Do you like them? Hate them? Pros/cons? Or recs for a better one that is preferably under $100 so I don't break my bank? I am watching my local craigslist ads to see if a good filter comes up for cheap but so far haven't seen one for a price I would pay for them used.

Shallow sand substrate for now. Plans to make this a planted tank in the future but that has to wait for money.

[​IMG]
    Eon (calico fantail), white with orange cap is a common so far unnamed only had for a couple of days (and yes this one has only half his tail left from fin rot) and Echo (orange fantail).

[​IMG]
    Their new home. Water is still cloudy due to sand displacement and poor filtration. Filter is rated for 30-45 gallons but doesn't have enough room to even add the smaller, same brand filter from their previous tank. As money allows I will replace the garish glo fish ornaments and bubbler with more tasteful stuff including live plants (will need to upgrade my light first before I can get plants though.)

Joshua's golds likes this.
  2. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

I personally like to use 2 filters in each of my tanks I use the classic hang on back filter which you currently have, but I also have a sponge filter as supplement. It adds lots of aeration and bio filtration also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marielle2016 likes this.
  3. Joshua's golds

Here is a pic of my 55 gal I have a topfin 75 HOB Filter and a sponge filter

XY-380 Aquarium Fish Tank Biochemical Sponge Filter, 4-1/2-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051XIN78/?tag=amzffny-20

The spawning mops are just in there because my male was chasing last night....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

Marielle2016 and CaliGold like this.
  4. Marielle2016

Thanks for the reply. I definitely plan on having two filters. I plan on a sponge filter in addition to one Hob filter and a canister filter. The hob will probably be an aqueon or AquaClear. I wanted a canister for the extra filtration but am having trouble figuring out which to use.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

5. Joshua's golds

I have heard canisters can be a pain in the rear (although I have no personal experience with canisters) if u run a sponge and a descent HOB I don't see a need for a canister... I think u will actually wind up with the opposite to much movement with three filters and with fancy goldfish that can be a problem due to their odd body shapes and as they get bigger are not the best of swimmers. You already have an air line running in the tank so adding sponge filter would be super easy just remove he wand and the bubble stone and put one line to your sponge. That's if u are running a smaller air pump, if it's the larger one with two out puts could run your sponge and a bubble wand/stone

TwistedNerve and Marielle2016 like this.
  6. Marielle2016

Actually that was why I was considering a canister so I could control the water flow. I'm sure someone has figured out how to control the hob flow but I'm too mechanically challenged to figure it out.

7. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

With the AquaClear HOB filters it's super easy to adjust the flow, it's just a little sliding knob on the top (yes, my description of it is terrible, but I promise it's the easiest thing ever once you see the unit). :)

8. Marielle2016

Ahh, didn't know it had flow control. Ones I have don't have it.. at least I don't think so. Good to know. Thanks

9. Joshua's golds

I don't particularly care for my HOB (top fin, came with my tank as a starter kit) but it has a little knob to adjust flow, and aqua clear has its slidey bit to adjust flow. Supper easy and cleaning them is a breeze.

At 3:58 he shows how to adjust flow, super easy

Marielle2016 likes this.
  10. Marielle2016

Hmmm... I guess I need to go double check the ones I have and see if they have flow control.

11. Marielle2016

Well... if mine have flow control I couldn't find it. That doesn't mean much because I'm little mechanically challenged... but I'm going to assume I'm not just being dumb and there isn't a control. I even googled it and couldn't come up with anything other than a couple diy stuff.

So.... So probably an AquaClear 70, sponge filter (just change out the bubble stone for the filter instead of having both), and I still think I should have a canister filter for the extra filtration.... Hmmmm.... I'm still thinking the sunsun with the uv light. It's cheap enough that if it breaks in a year I won't be too upset and it will let me see if having a canister is a good idea or not. If not, I haven't wasted too much money so won't feel too guilty in replacing it with something else. And if I love the canister filter, then I can work on upgrading some of my other filters. Decisions... decisions....

12. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

Hi Marielle, i have personally shifted from internal power filter to sunsun hw 302 canister filter 1 month ago. As far as i know sunsun & aquatop are manufactured by sunsun only they just got it different brand name as aquatop. So most probably both of them will be same. My canister didn't come with uv light as i didnt opted for it as i also have one pleco in my tank which eats algae so i didnt wanted to mess with his food :) i think canister are better than most other filter as they are outside and carry alot more physical and bio media and with your 3 fishes only you will not have to clean it so often. If you are looking for budget canister then sunsun is the way to go. And as far as the flow rate is concerned i always think some exercise is always good. By the way i dont run my filter and air stone 24*7 i start them morning 6:00-10:00 and evening 6:00-10:00 or 11:00 with half an hour brake for lunch and dinner for my fishes. One more thing always buy canister with flow rate of 4-5 more than your tank capacity.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    Marielle2016 likes this.
  13. Marielle2016

Thank you! I won't have any plecos in the tank with my gold fish. The only other fish I would like to have in there is corys but I've been told that is a bad idea (although most of the issues seem to be from when the goldfish is huge). So it will probably just remain a goldfish only tank which makes the uv a good idea and I hate the gazillion cords I already have and don't want to add anymore than I have to. :)

pritish1 likes this.
  14. RobynO

RobynO Member

My wife runs a 280 litre tank with 11 good size goldies. Size from about 120 mm to maybe 40 mm. "Fastmovers" & black moors.
    Until today she has run a SunSun HW 304B cannister filter which from my reading is best by far in value for money terms.

It's Chinese of course, so lots of shortcuts on quality, but it has worked flawlessly for about 4 years. It is reasonably quiet although we run the tank outside under our patio so quiteness is not a big consideration. It is cleaned every 6 weeks although that could be extended to 2 months (My wife is fanatical about tank cleaning with 40 % water change every week etc). We run the best media we can find (Seachem pumice & Marine pure balls). No carbon filter, no crude noodles. The acrylic wool is of two grades one quite fine.
    Overall we have very healthy & active fish & in part this is due to the superb filtration achieved by a low cost bio-filter cannister unit.
    BTW this unit has 3 trays & is rated at 2000 l/hr, but tested after 2 weeks with fully cycled media I measured the flow at 850 l/hr
    Today we set up our "other" cannister filter - Aquis 1000, rated at 700 l/hr (2 trays only) but the actual flow is barely half the SunSun.
    The build quality of the Aquis is a little better IMHO.
    I write this with the firm view that cannister filters are superior & you require only one.
    The OP referred to a sand bottom which we found unsuitable for goldies. My wife settled for white river stones about 10 to 25 mm approx diameter. One layer only with some larger brown & black river stones to compliment the colours. This has the advantage that the whole of the bottom tank media can be quickly removed, rinsed & left all week in the sun to kill off any algae. When this is done a duplicate set of stone is returned already clean & ready. More important the whole tank bottom & sides can be easily wiped clean. Fish can't become sick in this super clean environment (well you know what I mean).
    Hope this is of some help. Many of the concepts were gained from posters to this forum - thanks.

15. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

In my humblest of opinions this aquarium is rather overstocked, personally I would suggest to keep no more than 6 fish in a 75g(280L) aquarium.

Also, I am a firm believer of cleaning my filters at every weekly water change, and I usually change 80-90% weekly. By not cleaning the filter for weeks and weeks on end, you are only allowing Ammonia, NitrIte, and NitrAte to be built up within it. By doing such a small (40%)weekly water change, you are not ridding many of the toxins that can build up weekly.

Sand is infact quite suitable for Goldfish, as they are scavengers they will sift the sand looking for uneaten food bits. This is a very natural thing for them to do. I have seen sand contained within their feces, sand may actually help them break down and digest foods, keeping their intestinal tracts cleared is important. Sand also gives them a bit of a cushion from the hard glass bottom.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    CaliGold and Joshua's golds like this.
  16. Marielle2016

My goldies love the sand bed. They dig in the sand several times a day. I actually plan to make it a little deeper because there is only a thin layer of sand right now that came from a 10 gallon tank. I know it is a little harder to keep clean than a bare bottom tank but I personally do not like the look of bare bottom and I had more trouble keeping gravel clean then I do sand. Taking out the rocks and washing kills all the beneficial bacteria that grows on them so I wouldn't do that if I had them in there. I removed a few marble sized rocks I had in there because they were annoying.

So far I'm loving the sunsun filter. It does a great job at filtering. It's quieter than the air pump in operation and has really improved water quality since installing. I did take off the HOB and instead of the bubbler, I attached the air pump to a sponge filter and a corner air pump operated filter. All the bubbles are a little noisier than the quieter HOB but my goldies seem to like these better and they do a better job of filtering my tank than the HOB did. I could probably do without them but I like bubbles and I prefer overkill on my filtration especially with messy goldfish and sensitive corys.

In other news... Duckweed is awesome! I was pretty sure both of my goldies were going to die but I added duckweed (after seeing it recommended on another thread for someone else) and after they completely decimated the duckweed, both of my goldies are doing much better. Fin rot has cleared up, the weird sideways swimming hasn't occurred since, and both are more active and they are definitely growing larger. They cleared out the first batch of duckweed but I just added another batch this past weekend. They haven't managed to eat it all yet but I see them all the time grabbing a bite of it. They also enjoy nipping at the Hornwort I put in there. It grows faster than they eat it so there is still plenty in there. Tank has finally cycled so I'm no longer getting ammonia readings. My ro/di unit came in. I did get it installed last night but I'm still having a leak issue so haven't gotten to use it yet but *fingers crossed*, it should be fixed and ready soon since my tap water still shows 1ppm of ammonia.

In other rants.... can I just say I hate the aqueon water changer faucet adapter!!!!!! Three of those adapters have broken on me! That's 3 in 3 months (to be fair, one was broken by my brother in law when he decided to use a pair of pliers on it instead of tightening it by hand). Anyone know where I can get a metal version that won't crack while using it?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    Fishheadz likes this.
  17. pritish1

pritish1 Active Member

Happy to hear everything is going good. But please post some pics of your aquarium and fishes so that we can enjoy it too.

Marielle2016 likes this.
  18. Marielle2016

Will do. I am planning on rearranging some things in the tank now that it is stable and I have the filtration working how it needs to. I really want to take out those tacky glofish decorations I have in there and I want to deepen the sand bed a little and hopefully make it look a little nicer and less like I just threw a bunch of stuff in there. Hopefully I'll have time in the next few days to do so.

Fishheadz and pritish1 like this.
  19. Marielle2016

So apparently I spoke too soon... something caused a mini cycle it looks like. Maybe a snail dying or something. Not sure.

[​IMG]

Ammonia is zero but my nitrites have spiked for some reason. Did a partial water change.

[​IMG]
    And immediately I have ammonia. The picture colors are a little off but the before water change picture had 0 ammonia, 2ppm Nitrites, and 40 ppm of Nitrates. After, I have between .25 & .50ppm of ammonia, between .5 & 1ppm Nitrites and between 20 and 40 Nitrates. Will do another as soon as my ro water is ready to go.

Not sure what caused the upswing in Nitrites and Nitrates but that is just annoying. I'm going to have go through the tank and see if I can find a cause.

Echo and Zoomy enjoying the afternoon sunlight. Ignore the particle water going on. I just did the partial water change and removed a few unwanted decorations... and had cleaned out a ton of algae. I apparently missed a few pieces. Ugh. That stuff goes everywhere.
    [​IMG]

Okay, one or the other has to be blurry.
    [​IMG]

Full tank shot. Still have to add some sand but I've removed most of the tacky decorations. That filter should be in the corner. But I didn't feel like rearranging everything to make it fit.
    [​IMG]

Plants are all over the place. I need to deepen the sand bed a little so I can root them down. Right now it is so thin they keep popping back up. I need to get a bigger glass jar. I have one of those pint size canning jars I put in there and well, Echo loves that thing. She is always in there but with her rate of growth I'm afraid she's going to outgrow it very soon.

Still having a little bit of a leaking issue (but that's what towels are for) but here is the first test of my ro/di filter water.
    [​IMG]

Isn't that a beautiful sight!!!!!! Anyone know if I still need to treat the water with Prime (or other water conditioner) for chlorine? Supposedly, this filter is supposed to remove all chlorine, chloramines, ammonia, etc but I don't know if I still should be dosing with water conditioner or not. I tested my tap water (forgot to take a picture) and it was reading 1ppm ammonia so it is removing the ammonia at least.

pritish1 likes this.
  20. txtstorm

txtstorm Active Member

I have quite a few 40 gallon tanks that I run with just an AquaClear HOB filter and a medium to large sponge filter. The HOBs aren't even necessary really. If you regularly change your water, you can just use an appropriately sized sponge filter. I second the previous poster on the AquaClear HOBs. They're super easy to clean. If you're going to use an HOB, I recommend them.

I really like the simplicity of Jennie's (Solid Gold) fish room set up here: I may end up doing this in my fish room eventually.

I do have a 100 gallon tank running a 90 gallon capacity canister filter and an XL sponge filter. It works well, but the canister filter is a real mess to clean.