Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Fish jumped out!!! help ):

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by CalicoGold, Jan 28, 2016.

1. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

I really need help! Something horrible happened today ): this morning I was sleeping in a bit and felt my dog jump onto the bed. A moment later something cold, wet, and sticky landed on my food. I jumped up and saw that my dog had just dropped my favorite goldfish Suna on my foot!!! I know he has to have jumped from the tank somehow, he was pretty dry and sticky instead of slimy. I immediately dropped him back into the tank. He sort of floated around in the current upside down for a minute but really quickly righted himself and started swimming somewhat normally. I watched him for half an hour, all of his slime coat was coming off in strings like when you give a fish a salt bath. He would rest in the plants for a few minutes (upright) and then start swimming again. His dorsal fin and pectorals seem a little frayed but otherwise he looks normal. I think he lost a few scales on his sides but it's hard to tell because he's calico and doesn't have many metallic scales.

My other bigger fish Yuzu kept trying to eat the slime coat that was falling off of Suna. I had to leave for class but didn't want to leave him vulnerable to her picking at him so I filled a 3 gallon bucket with tank water that's now floating in the aquarium at home. I put an air stone in the bucket with him. The bucket is tipped just a little by at an angle do that the tank and bucket water can co-mingle a bit, I was hoping that would help stop waste from building up as much in the bucket. I don't think the fish will be able to easily get in or out of the bucket though. The bucket is sterilite brand, food safe. I turned off lights to hopefully keep stress down. He seemed to be doing good when I left him.

Now I've been on campus all day and I am just so worried and sad ): once in out of class I am going to run to the pet store and get some stress coat to add to the tank. Is there anything else I can do other than maintain clean water and just wait? I know he didn't jump because of water quality issues or toxins. I just did an 80-90% water change last night, dosed with prime, and they were fine. I haven't added any new decorations.

The only thing I can think of is that he managed to wiggle himself up and over the lip because he got trapped between a big jar that is currently floating in the tank and the corner of the tank. My betta fish is being treated for a bacterial infection in my 10 gallon tank and the snails I have can't be in there with the medications I'm using. So I put the snails in a big jar (it's totally clean, I've had snails and shrimp stay in that jar short term in the past). I floated the jar in the big tank to knee the snails water warm because I live in the basement and it gets really cold. The jar floats into the corner a lot and I guess if Suna got trapped between the jar and the tank corner he might of panicked and wiggled upwards towards the surface and over the edge of the tank. I have no idea how long he was out of the water for, but not more than 6-7 hours, and I think much shorter amount of time.

Sorry for any typos, I'm on my cell phone.

What is Ammonia Level? 0
    What is Nitrite Level? 0
    What is Nitrate level? 10ppm
    What is Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH)? 7.8 pH
    What is Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH)? 7.8 pH
    What is the brand of test-kit used(strips or drops)? API master, drops
    What is your water temperature? 70F
    What is the size of the tank (how many gals.) and how long has it been set up? 30 gals, 2-3 weeks (cycled)
    What is the name and size of the filter(s)? 75 gallon filter, can't remember brand now
    Is there any substrate in the tank? If so how deep? and what kind (sand, gravel)? Gravel, 1-2"
    How often do you change the water and how much? 3 times a week, 80-90%
    How many fish in the tank and their size? 3 - 2 medium, 1 small
    Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)? Prime
    What do you feed your fish and how often? Repashy Solent green once a day
    Is there any new fish/plant added to the tank? if so how long is the quarantine period? No
    Is there any medications added to the tank? No
    Describe the problems you are seeing: example grains of salt on body, bloddy streaks, frayed fins, fungus, staying at bottom, not eating, etc?
    Fish jumped out, losing slime coat, mild buoyancy issues, some frayed fins, somewhat lethargic

2. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Forget about the stress coat. Goldfish do very well after jumping out and drying out. Clean water with 0.1% salt will do fine. The only time I've rescued a fish from the ground next to the pond was when the fish were spawning, An eager male can push a female out of the pond. The fish was fine, although I only knew she was alive when I saw her eyes move.

GoldenMcNewbie likes this.
  4. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

Thank you. I still can't believe that my dog brought him to me instead of eating him. I don't think she hurt him at all either so she must have been gentle with him.

Brabant likes this.
  5. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Fish are always amazing. In another forum, a koi owner found one of his koi he accidentally got in his cleaning net after several hours of hanging the net. The koi took 3 days to recover but did. He placed him in a net in the pond so the other fish don't disturb him and then released him when he started to move.

Your fish may do well, just isolate it for a while.

6. beerbladder

beerbladder Active Member

Wow that is some dog you have. Amazing that the dog realized you cherished your pet fish. I would use a tank divider to avoid ammonia problems for a weak fish. I have used egg crate light diffusers in the past as a divider, and secured it with little suction cups like those used on thermometers.

7. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

I think he's going to be completely fine. I released him back into the main tank today and he's acting normal, chasing my female oranda like normal, and he's eating just fine. Looks like the only lasting effects were some small frayed edges on a few fins.

They sure are resilient fish. I never would have imagined a fish could jump out of water, fall 4 feet, be picked up in a dogs mouth, and suffer basically no ill-effects.

TwistedNerve likes this.
  8. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Dog's can be extremely gentle, a very awesome dog, I'd say this dog is a hero, because in all honesty the dog likely saved this fish's life.

CaliGold and CalicoGold like this.
  9. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

I agree. Maybe she was apologizing to me for getting into my brand new bag of saki hikari last week and eating/dispersing tiny pellets across my entire house :) She's a good dog. She also loves my rabbit and will sit and gently lick my rabbits face and ears like he's her baby.

chocky likes this.