Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Fish Louse!

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by CalicoGold, Feb 2, 2016.

1. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

Well I think I figured out why my fish jumped out of the tank a few days ago!

I noticed him darting around in the tank today, only for a few seconds at a time, and I thought "Jeeze if he keeps that up he's going to end up jumping out on accident again!"

Later I decided to do a peroxide swab on some scales that he injured during his jump out of the fish tank. As I was swabbing I noticed a fish louse on his tail! It was so hard to see because he's calico and his tail is white with a lot of black speckling, but I plucked off the louse with some tweezers. I can't seem to see any more on him, but I'm kind of worried now. I ordered a bottle of "Microbe-Lift Lice and Anchor Worm Treatment" but it wont be here until Wednesday. Is there anything else I can do in the mean time? I already have the tank at 1% aquarium salt to help with the fish's recovery from his jumping incident, should I raise the % salt? Or is there anything else I can do? I don't have any invertebrates in the tank so I was thinking maybe I could add some type of fish medication that contains copper to the tank because I know copper is toxic to most aquatic invertebrates? I don't really know D: thanks!

2. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

QUARANTINE. INSPECT OTHERS AND TANK. Manually remove as many as you can. Raise temp. Use the meds as instructed and keep a close eye on them.

3. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

Thank you ): I got all three of these fish at the same time from the same person. They came in the tank that they are currently living in. The fish that I pulled the louse off of doesn't look like he's doing too well. He's sitting on the bottom a lot and will "drift" around in the current a bit before starting to swim on his own. How high should I raise the temp? And should I only do this after I get the medication? If there any medication that I can buy tomorrow from petsmart or petco? The stuff I ordered doesn't come until Wednesday evening...

4. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Actually, don't raise the temp. in fact, lower it to slow down the hatching of the eggs. Salt won't be effective against them. Use the medication as directed. I don't believe that petco or petsmart has good anti parasitic meds.

CalicoGold likes this.
  5. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

I was going to say, raising the temperature is usually done with Ich to speed up the parasites' life cycle and get them into the free swimming stage (at which point salt or medication has a greater effect). I haven't had much experience with fish lice, so I won't advise on that, but I'm not sure what the ideal temperature would be during a louse outbreak.

6. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

It may be that the fish needs time to recover from the blood loss, as long as all the louse are gone.

7. CalicoGold

CalicoGold Member

So far I haven't seen any more adult lice in the tank. The fish is doing better today. I did manage to find someone on eBay who sells dimilin-x so I bought a bottle but it won't be here until Friday at the earliest or Monday at the latest.

Should I start treating with the other medication I'm getting tomorrow? Or should I wait until the dimilin comes? Does anyone know if the first medication I mentioned is good or not? It has very mixed reviews on Amazon but most people are using it to treat anchor worms not fish lice.

8. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Wait imo

CalicoGold likes this.