Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Flourish Excel bad for my Ryukin

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by Keith, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Keith

Keith Member

I wanted to post this in case it saves someone else this headache in the future.

I started a new 75gal, fully planted with 50% old water and old bio media. It fully cycled in 48 hours. I added BN Pleco, waited two weeks, then moved one 2 year old Ryukin over to test if the plants were established enough to resist being pulled up before adding a larger Ryukin. Waited two weeks, by which time I had serious green hair outbreak. I began adding Excel at a rate of 7.5ml every 24 hours.

Here's the cautionary part. The Ryukin began sitting on the tank bottom refusing to eat after three days of excel. I tested water, and all was perfect. I adjusted water flow thinking maybe it was to strong and stressing him. Waited 2 days, no change. The Excel was the only other variable. I only change one thing at a time just for reasons like this, so I can tell what causes problems without sorting through 10 variables. I stopped dosing Excel and she responded by being 50% more active and eating again within 24hours. In 48 hours she was 100% back to normal.

2. Mykuhl

Mykuhl Active Member

That's interesting to read. I have never had a problem using excel in any of my planted tanks, even at double the recommended dosage. I have used it with dwarf cichlids, pencilfish, oto cats, bettas and 2 different type of shrimp...haven't tried it with goldfish yet. I wonder if the excel was just bad, or maybe specific fish are just sensitive to it. I will keep the info in mind....thanks.

3. Keith

Keith Member

First time I've ever used it, and it has great reviews from the research I did prior to purchasing. Forgot to note the plants responded well and the BN Pleco was unaffected. Maybe too much inbreeding has made these Ryukin hypersensitive.

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

You were overdosing the Flourish,
    Dosage is supposed to be 5mL per 60g 1-2 x a week ,(NOT EVERY DAY !!!)
    You were also using too much Flourish each time. You stated a 75g tank, well if you're supposed to use 5mL for 60g, what makes you think you need to use 2.5mL more for only 15g more water? This too, is an overdose.

5. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

Are you sure?
    It says on their website to dose everyday or every other day?
    (Seachem flourish excel?)

6. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Ahh, I stand corrected, I was referencing just "Seachem Flourish", not "Seachem Flourish Excel", my apologies for any confusion.

7. Chi

Chi Active Member

I had a similar problem with my Ryukin with Flourish Excel, ruled out variables like you did and noticed it was that. She didn't bottom sit entirely, but she would start tilting her head upwards and looked like she was inebriated. Used the rest of the container in the Betta tank and opted to not purchase it again. :)

8. DCSteve

DCSteve Active Member

I noticed Flourish Excel has chlorine in it. Could that be the problem? Could it be countered with Prime? If so, how much? Would a good way to use it be to unplug the filter so chlorine doesn't get in and kill your biological, add Excel and Prime, let it mix in, then turn the filter back on?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015