Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Frame construction of 5000 gal pond

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Pondsailor, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

Hello everyone,

This question goes out to ponders who have partial or fully raised ponds. I will be using 4 x 4 x 10's for the frame which will be roughly 16' x 10'. My question is concerning what would yall suggest in connecting/bolting the wood together? Would 7" hexing bolts do the trick being placed about every foot apart? I will be placing rebar in spots as well to give that extra support so no bulging will take place. The height will be between 18" to 24". I can only go so deep in ground due to rock.

Any thoughts or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I guess you don't have a termite problem in LA. Here, pressure treated lumber in contact with the ground lasts about two years. I use concrete blocks which are cheaper and can easily be stabilized completely with rebar.

3. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

How deep down can you go until you hit rock? What is the frost line for your region/area? Permanent (there from now on), or temporary (potential for moving)? If you plan on it being a permanent structure, from a masonry aspect, you'd want to pour a stem wall the depth of your frostline for the wall to sit on. The stem wall, and the cinderblock wall should both be reinforced with rebar.

*Also
    10'x16'x18" = 1795.33 Gallons
    10'x16'x24" = 2393.77 Gallons
    If you can go down into the earth 24" and have 24" above ground, then you could accomplish the (near)5,000 gal you are seeking,
    in the same footprint.
    10'x16'x48" = 4787.53 Gallons

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014