Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Gill fluke?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by GoldGuy, Jan 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

i just bought some new fish at petsmart to put in my 55 when koi moves into a pond. They are in quarintine, i then noticed one had purplish pink gills. i looked it up and some sites said he has gill fluke, but i observed him for an hour, looking for the other symptoms it said on a bunch of different web sites and didnt see any. also read it could be ammonia poisoning

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

I have a friend who has goldfish and has had a goldfish for about a year now. who has purpleish pinkish gills and his other goldfish in the tank are not infected

3. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, do your fish's gill plates look like this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (Ignore the white dots, those are just breeding tubercles)

If that translucent gill plate with the pink gills showing up brightly behind them is what you're referring to, you may have a perfectly normal and healthy fish. It's just a color thing. It would be more helpful if you posted a picture though, so we could see exactly what you're trying to describe. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  4. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Did you do daily water changes? Or did you ignore our advice and the high stocking density got to them? Fluke gills are paler and have noticeable growths/damages. Did you even do a gill examination?

5. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

yes, its exactly like that, but why?

6. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

thank you!

7. GoldGuy

GoldGuy Active Member

will it ever go away?

8. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

No, unless your fish ACTUALLY has gill flukes. Assuming you bought calico fish.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  9. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

@GoldGuy, what my calico fish has (and what it sounds like your fish may have) is just a case of translucent gill plates. It happens often enough with nacreous and matte scale-type fish (calicoes are typically nacreous), so it's perfectly alright. There are even some goldfish breeds where they are expected to have these pinkish cheeks (ghost bristol goldfish, for example). I would still like to see a picture of your fish, if possible, so we can try to confirm that it is just its coloring, rather than a true disease or issue. But if it's just the coloration, it's nothing to worry about (and will probably be life-long).

:)

GoldGuy and Joshua's golds like this.