Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Gold fish and baby powder

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Justintime, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

hello last night my nephew who is 3 thought it would be a good idea to dump baby powder in his 20 gallon gold fish tank , so my brother caught him right after it happened filled a jar with drinking water and brought me the fish to keep until he gets the tank safe for my 3year old nephew's fancy calico goldfish. So I have the fish in my last fish tank that's not occupied at the moment and he/she is doing just fine but I do have a question will soaking the media from the contaminated tank and rinsing it thoroughly be good or do I need to buy my nephew new media I don't want to have to start his bb from scratch the rest of the media I don't care about buying new but the biological filter I'm trying too save especially since we have to clean the substrate (I had just gone an done a 50% water change 2 hours earlier) prior to the baby powder and added prime and my nephew was watching me intently so I think it's kinda my fault because I didn't explain to him what I was doing and why he just saw me pouring stuff in the tank

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  2. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

IMG_1380.JPG how he got to the tank

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Just rinse the filter medium with dechlorinated water. You don't need to soak it at all. I suggest you remove the substrate, put fresh water in the tank, set up the rinsed filter and return the fish to the tank. Then rinse the substrate until the rinse water is clear and return it to the tank a little at a time. Your brother will need to test the water regularly, since the population of nitrifiers might have lowered a bit. If the tank was fully cycled, it should be fine in a week or two.

Your nephew is quite creative. Kids his age often dump the whole container of food into the tank, which is much worse. From what I have read for Safety Sheets, talc isn't toxic to fish even in large quantities. Your brother might let the little guy feed the fish as long as he gets Daddy to give him the right amount of food. You can tell him that fish can get a terrible stomachache if they eat something other than a little bit of food.

magdela likes this.
  4. Ponder

Ponder Active Member

Love the footprint trail of guilt!

Justintime likes this.
  5. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Yea I'm gonna return the fish to my nephew Saturday we're gonna keep him for a couple days I think he traumatized the poor thing it's scared to death so I'm thinking a couple vacation days are needed for the little guy lol but his tank is up an running thanks for the info my brother said the fish ate some of the baby powder but he seems fine just freaked out and yea the picture is classic caught red handed I'm just glad it was only baby powder does anyone make a childproof aquarium lid? Lol

6. Justintime

Justintime Active Member

Well Carpy is going home tonight, his tank has been cleaned and running just waiting for him I'm putting extra media bags in my filter so invade we go thru anything like this again he will have bb waiting for him, but little Jacob misses his fish and has been asking for him, think he's worried in his own little boy kinda way

7. Justintime

Justintime Active Member