Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Goldfish and fresh water clams

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Faebinder, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

I was debating throwing in some fresh water clams with my goldfish but I keep reading about how they get into the gills of fish.

Can someone verify this true or false? Anyone out there keeping both together?

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

do you mean you are concerned that the fish will ingst the clams, I would be more concerned with introducing pathogens in addition to the fish consuming the clams

3. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

I read online that if the clams reproduce, then their young ones stick to the gills and bottom of the fish.

4. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Active Member

Another problem with clams is they are filter feeders and like water with higher nutrient levels in it.
    Also if they burrow and die they can foul the water up pretty bad as they rot.

5. Jonas Axman

Jonas Axman Member

I have fresh water clams. I was a bit concerned about the "parasitic" stage but decided that it is a limited problem since it is not a permanent problem and I could not find any evidence of actual damage to the fish. The clams do wonders for keeping the water clear in my opinion so unless the fish are especially expensive or of value to you it would say go for it. But it is an unknown factor in some ways, so it is not an absolute yes.

6. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

It's not worth the risk of glochidium. It really depends on the species.