Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Goldfish and water snails..

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by Blue~bubbles, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Blue~bubbles

Blue~bubbles New Member

Hi everyone! Whilst shopping at pets at home this evening, I came across some water snails. But I can't remember the name of them! I was wondering, what type of species of water snail is best suited to living with goldfish? Thank you :)

2. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

We just have Pet(Co/Smart) "mystery snails" in our tanks.

3. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Mystery snails are great for cleaning up after the fish and Japanese trapdoor and nerite snails are great for algae problems.

4. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

I've got 3 cute little nerite snails with my goldfish. Just remember that they do add to the tank's bioload, so you may have to do more frequent water changes. :)

5. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

In my honest opinion, none. That's not to say that snails can't be kept with goldfish, however, it was my experience that when I introduced(Mystery, Nerite & Sulawesi) snails into an aquarium with goldfish, the fish would regularly bump / nip at the snail(s), knocking (them) off of the wall, and/or forcing them to take refuge in their shell. I would assume this was rather stressful to the snails. As far as a cleanup crew, believe it or not, Goldfish are better overall scavengers. So long as regular maintenance is performed, no algae should be present. A snail is so small, that in an aquarium with a lot of algae 2 or 3 snails will barely make a dent(though they do leave interesting zig-zag trails), so don't think that by having snails you won't need to clean the walls.

Also with snails, NEVER add salt, or any product that contains Copper to your aquarium, it will kill your snails.

CaliGold likes this.
  6. Gold Digger

Gold Digger Active Member

I have found tons of different kinds of invertebrates colonizing in the filters because i seeded my tank with established filter media from a stock tank pond. I just figure my filters are finished maturing and can now support additional life. I have ramshorn snails they dont proliferate when kept with the fish only, in the filters.

7. Blue~bubbles

Blue~bubbles New Member

Okay thank you everyone! I've decided I'll give it a go- but will remove it if it becomes stressed :)