Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Goldfish Colors?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Breeds' started by Scifisarah, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

Is there a good website that explains and shows with photos the different goldfish colors? I'd like to see examples of white, red, orange, gold, blue, green, black, chocolate, purple etc. and what they are supposed to look like.

2. Iaidoka

Iaidoka Well-Known Member

Youtube maybe?

3. Scifisarah

I haven't been able to find anything like that on youtube, but if there is a particular video, let me know.

4. Iaidoka

Iaidoka Well-Known Member

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I think if you look in the User Albums here, you will find almost any color and many of them identified.

6. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

There's also an article for the different scale types under the articles tab here. Very useful and lots of photos! Some of the colors are mentioned in the article as well, since they are directly affected by the scale type.

7. Scifisarah

I found a koi book at the library and whoa, are there ever detailed and many types of koi colors! All with fancy names.

CaliGold likes this.
  8. CaliGold

I think that's partially because koi colors have been extensively bred for, whereas with fancy goldfish most breeders are still concerned with getting the shape of the fish just right, and colors (although definitely a goal) sometimes have to take the back seat. It's probably something to do with the long history kois have, in comparison to some of our fancy breeds. I wonder if the AGA would have examples of all the different colors for fancies somewhere in their archives/breed guides?

And the names aren't necessarily fancy, they're just Japanese :D in actuality, the names for certain patterns are very direct when translated and taken in context of Japanese culture. (My husband and I love all things Japan, so we've tried learning some bits of the language, too). :)

Scifisarah likes this.
  9. Scifisarah

10. shakaho

Goldfish have a much longer history of selection than koi (like a millennium). Koi just have a larger genetic library of colors. There are many types of carp that koi can breed with and produce fertile offspring which gives them the possibility of picking up a lot of genes. Goldfish can breed with a variety of carp as well, but the offspring are sterile.

You can find some amazing colors in Chinese goldfish like you can see here.

11. CaliGold

Ahhh, see I've always heard it the other way around since koi are closer to carp. But thank you for the correction!

12. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

White, except in conjunction with red is generally seen as undesirable so you won't see all white fish promoted. Even with Ranchu ideally there would be some red. Orange and gold are just under developed red so again not desirable. Metallic blue green and purple are new so not established. Chocolate less so but more a commercial promotion so rain garden is as good as any. The calico colours are best seen on club sites. Eg. Www.gsgb.co.uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iaidoka likes this.
  13. shakaho

CaliGold, selective breeding in koi began in Japan about 1820-1830, although colored carp had been kept in ponds for centuries before.

I found a very interesting paper, that I think you will like, about the relationship of domestic goldfish to wild Carassius in China and the development of domestic varieties. The technical stuff requires an advanced knowledge of contemporary cytogenetics, (which I do not have) but it has a fairly readable introduction and discussion.

CaliGold likes this.
  14. CaliGold

@shakaho, you're right, that's a very cool study. I don't understand some of the finer details, but I did take my share of biology courses in college, so I get the main points they're making at least. It also explains the trouble some breeders have to go to if a line is unintentionally outcrossed, etc. Thank you for the good read! :)