Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Goldfish colour coming in?

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Keeponswimming, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Keeponswimming

Keeponswimming New Member

Hi im new and i was recommended here to ask a question. So, i have this goldfish which looks like it has no colour, like it is pink and you can see the gills through the gill cover and it has black eyes. Recently he has been getting black on him. Like everywhere, not ammonia burn, and a tiny bit of orange at the ends of his tail. I have a photo of him last month which ill add Screenshot_2016-02-01-20-50-27.png . I wanted to know if it is just colour coming through.
    He recently got a new food which is colour enhancing, and got a new light. He is very active and loves too eat!!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Keeponswimming

20160204_210441.jpg 20160204_210452.jpg Here is a picture of him today
    I couldnt get him facing the other way but there is alot more on the other side.
    Also the fat pearl scale seen photo bombing is also getting orange on its tail.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Your fish a matt which is an absence of reflective scales. He will stay mostly like this, may develop some black spots. Depending on age and light can take on bluish sheens. Very cool fish

Keeponswimming likes this.
  4. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Doesn't he have one reflective scale on the side you photographed? Would that make him nacreous instead of full matte, @joe? I'm not super experienced with all of the varieties of scale types yet, but there's a great article on this site you could refer to, @Keeponswimming.

Goldfish are capable of changing colors (gaining or losing them) for a variety of reasons and throughout almost their entire lifespan, from what I have read and seen. Joe is right that he will probably not change by much anymore. He looks very sweet though, and you seem to have a color theme in your tank. :)

Keeponswimming and joe like this.
  5. Keeponswimming

Yeah idk why but i like them that way :) i have a black moore too just to mix it up

CaliGold likes this.
  6. Keeponswimming

Thanks for the reply, every other site was saying ammonia burn but i was 100% sure it wasnt.