Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Goldfish dying

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by HotPocket, Jan 25, 2016.

1. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

Ive been posting about my oranda having swim bladder disease and i did everything i can, but i dont think its going to make it to tomorow. ive been feeding it peas and sinking pellets, but i dont think it can go on anymore, its not able to swim right its on its side, and it can barely swim at all and i came back to my room to find him caught in my filter (the part that takes in water, my filters isnt too strong of a pull). The worst part is his tank mate, i have another oranda that is very healthy but he seems kinda sad because he knows its not gong to make it. the worst part is i have to watch and i cant do anything more than what ive already done, but i have to worry about my other orandas health, will this affect him in any way?

2. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Check the water parameters. Tell us the results. What size is your tank? What temp is your water? Are there any sores, lesions, torn fins or any other notable symptoms?

3. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

i cant remember exacts but i recently went to the pet store to test it free and i saw and the girl even told me i had ideal water quality, except ph was a little over perfect. Its a 20 gallon tank and i planned to upgrade once they were adults. And there was nothing wrong with it, just i guess bad swim bladder and constipation. As for temp i kept it a little warmer than room temp with a good led lamp. (Budget heating while i try and get more money) as i said though, i dont think it qill be able to make it to the morning, its barely able to swim and the other fish seems to know too :(

4. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

Oh and i forgot to say its usually around 77-80 degrees f in my house.

5. GoldenMcNewbie

Ask her what the results were, her version of ideal may not be fit for goldfish.. 20 gallons is only good for one fancy. Temp is good but a little high. I need pictures or video to see the problem more clearly. What filter do you use?

6. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

i use a 20 gallon filter made by a company called API (i believe) and ill have to go in and check again, but they hhave given me reliable advice for goldfish before like how big they get and what tank size ill need, i just got the 20 gallon for free from a friend so it helped me out aand i planned to get a 40 sooi. If its still alive by tomorow ill picture and video it, but really it will just float, and when it swims its slow and on its side or upside down rarelt upwards.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

do you know what was exactly tested at the store at the very minimum you need to have ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph tested. Your tank temps are fine so long as you have airstones for o2, I am sorry for your fish but sometimes these conditions are just genetic and there is not much you can do. I would not add another goldfish until you are able to get something bigger

8. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know how long has this aquarium been set up & running?
    You say you've been feeding peas, have you been removing the skins from the peas before feeding them to the fish?
    What brand of Sinking pellets are you feeding?
    Also wondering what dechlorinator you're using?

Here's my thoughts, If this aquarium hasn't been running 4-8 weeks, it is likely not cycled. It's a good idea to have a quality water test kit on hand (@ home), in so that you don't have to go to the pet store every time to check your water quality.(if you suspect something is wrong, you should be checking it daily; pH, Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte) The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is what the pet store uses, I suggest you obtain one yourself (about $25, over 800 tests).

Don't feed anything for 3 days, then introduce a small amount of frozen bloodworms (NOT FREEZE DRIED), or Frozen Brine Shrimp, or a gel food such as Repashy Soilent Green (or a homemade gel food). The problem with peas is, that you must remove the skins before feeding, or they may cause constipation/impaction. Most sinking pellets are chocked full of wheat, and wheat byproducts, which may result in constipation. Goldfish require a varied diet, feeding only 1 or 2 things is not very good for the fish.
    Of course overfeeding any food may result in constipation.

9. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Separate the fish, in case one gets infected with something. You dont want the other one to be infected and die.

10. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

will the other be able to stay alone after being sad after they die?

11. HotPocket

HotPocket Member

yes i was peeling them, and i even heard you can heat them if you want so i did that a couple times like put it in the microwave for 4 seconds. my sinking pellets are made by API and i make sure to get the air out of them while trying to feed them so they do sink. and my dechlor is made by a company called wardly essentials chlor out. my tank was cycled, ive had it for maybe 3 - 5 months

12. GoldenMcNewbie

Goldfish don't get sad when a tankmate dies, it means that they are stressed by something in the water.

CaliGold and chocky like this.