Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Goldfish Gasping for Air

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by NYCGoldfish, Dec 30, 2017.

1. NYCGoldfish

NYCGoldfish New Member

IMG_8693.JPG Good afternoon everyone, I've stumbled upon a problem in my goldfish tank. Recently, my fish have started to gasp for air and it is causing me quiet the distress. I have a great pump, filteration system and have 3 fish in a 40 gallon aquarium (they're medium sized). I've done water exams and everything seems to be fine. I've noticed at one point my ammonia was a bit on the higher end of the scale so I added an ammonia reducing cartridge to my filter. I do constant 50% water changes and have never had a problem. The fish just look like they're in discomfort and I hate that:( I'd like to do whatever I can to help them feel better. Any advice?

2. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Please answer these questions so that we can help you help your fish.

What is Nitrate level?
    What is Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH)?
    What is Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH)?
    What is the brand of test-kit used(strips or drops)?
    What is your water temperature?
    What is the size of the tank (how many gals.) and how long has it been set up?
    What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
    Is there any substrate in the tank? If so how deep? and what kind (sand, gravel)?
    How often do you change the water and how much?
    How many fish in the tank and their size?
    Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)?
    What do you feed your fish and how often?
    Is there any new fish/plant added to the tank? if so how long is the quarantine period?
    Is there any medications added to the tank?
    Describe the problems you are seeing: example grains of salt on body, bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus, staying at bottom, not eating, etc?

Good luck.

3. NYCGoldfish

NYCGoldfish New Member

Nitrate level is very low, pH is at about 6.8/7.0, I use the strips made by Tetra called "5-in-1 EasyStrips". Water temperature is at about 55 degrees Fahrenheit. 40 gallon breeder, has been set up for about 2 months. My filter is the Penguin 350 power filter. There is no substrate in the tank other than a few very large rocks. I change the water every week - two weeks 50% water changes each time. I have three fish, a black Moore who is about 7 inches long, and two other goldfish at about 3-4 inches in length. Water conditioner used is AquaSafe Plus by Tetra and I also use Tetras "SafeStart Plus" which helps reduce ammonia and nitrate. I feel my fish omega one sinking goldfish pellets, once in the morning once in the evening. No new fish, plants or any kind of medication. Fish are at the top of the tank gasping for air, come down for a few seconds to swim and then come back up (especially the black Moore). Fish look very healthy, water is crystal clear.

4. orangecrush

Can you please post a full pic/video of your tank? What type of air system do you have, such as type of pump/stones?

Thanks, Jim.

5. NYCGoldfish

NYCGoldfish New Member

Here's a photo of my tank. I have a large rectangular shaped air stone hooked up to a Marina 100.

Attached Files:

6. orangecrush

First of all I would start with 100% WC at least once a week.

I checked out the pump that you're using and since it's not that expensive, I would pick up another one, it can't hurt.

As for your test strips, they are not as reliable as the drops. We recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It's a bit more expensive but it's also much more reliable and don't you want that for your fish? 40ppm for nitrates are at the very top of what's safe for Goldfish. Some Goldfish are much more sensitive to ammonia, nitrites,p and nitrates than others which could be the reason for the issues that you're experiencing.

Please pick up another airpump and stone and do some large 80%-90% WC and see if this helps. I would do WC twice a week to see if there's any improvement and then once a week after that.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.

7. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I took the liberty of putting the answers after the questions. You have no idea how hard it is to find the answers in paragraph form.

What is Nitrate level? 40
    What is Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH)? 6.8, KH 40, GH 75
    What is Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH)? Please measure this.
    What is the brand of test-kit used(strips or drops)? Tetra "5-in-1 EasyStrips"
    What is your water temperature? 55 degrees Fahrenheit
    What is the size of the tank (how many gals.) and how long has it been set up? 40 gallon breeder, has been set up for about 2 months
    What is the name and size of the filter(s)? Penguin 350 power filter
    Is there any substrate in the tank? If so how deep? and what kind (sand, gravel)? no substrate in the tank
    How often do you change the water and how much? every week - two weeks 50%
    How many fish in the tank and their size? three fish, a black Moore who is about 7 inches long, and two other goldfish at about 3-4 inches
    Do you use water conditioner(if so, what kind)? AquaSafe Plus by Tetra and I also use Tetras "SafeStart Plus" which helps reduce ammonia and nitrate
    What do you feed your fish and how often? omega one sinking goldfish pellets, once in the morning once in the evening
    Is there any new fish/plant added to the tank? if so how long is the quarantine period? No new fish, plants
    Is there any medications added to the tank? no
    Describe the problems you are seeing: example grains of salt on body, bloody streaks, frayed fins, fungus, staying at bottom, not eating, etc?

Please clarify your water change schedule.

The combination of high nitrate and low pH usually indicates low KH, which the KH test also shows. You can raise the KH and pH by adding baking soda to the tank with each water change.

Does the surface gulping behavior occur all the time or is it associated with something like feeding?