Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Goldfish Spray Bar

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by Scifisarah, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Scifisarah

Scifisarah Well-Known Member

I finished my new goldfish spray bar last night and it works great. You can adapt this to fit your length tank - this size would work well for a 48 inch long aquarium. The bar is made from a 34 inch long piece of schedule 40 pipe, with a push on end cap, and 90 degree joint. There is also a 2 inch piece of pipe at the top of the joint for the fluval rubber cuff to fit over. I did not have to use any sort of glues as everything fits together quite snugly. I used a 1/4 inch drill bit and placed 16 holes on the front, 2 inches apart. On the back I used a 1/8 inch drill bit and made 15 holes ...between where the holes on the front would be. I used all hand tools as it was too cold to go out in the garage for the miter saw, but that would have worked better to cut the piping. When I angle the large holes slightly upwards it creates good surface movement for oxygen to get into the water, and the 15 smaller holes at the back release a lot of the extra water pressure towards the glass and slightly downwards so the goldfish aren't being blasted anymore. I used some of my daughter's clear silicone hair ties to anchor the end of the spray bar to the filter intake and find this works much better than the suction cups I used to use. Also made a nice tower in the middle for my petricola catfish to hang out in, and they seem to enjoy it now and switch between the different levels.

[​IMG]

ThatGuy, CaliGold and Gold Digger like this.
  2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Cool setup.

3. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Nice. Like these catfish apartments.

CaliGold likes this.
  4. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

I need to build one of these for a future pond.

5. Scifisarah

I am currently trying to figure out how to build a spray bar for the Coralife Biocube 14 I just picked up on Craigslist. It is really blasting the water in, since it is built to house saltwater corals that need a lot of movement. There is something called "Loc-Line" that snaps together to make a spray bar, but it looks like it is only available online and is expensive. I'd much rather spend $5 on materials and rig something up myself, if possible. It doesn't have the rubber seal like my fluval canister filter does though, so I'm not sure how well it will attach.

6. CC11

CC11 Active Member

Aqua one sell this for their filters if that helps.

7. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a Furnco, (a rubber collar with hose clamps on each end) I know you can buy these in 2", 3", 4", & 6" sizes, Though I'm not sure about smaller sizes like 3/4" (what you'd need to slip over 1/2" PVC) An alternative might be to find a small piece(say 4" long) of vinyl tubing, the correct diameter*, to slip over the pieces, to make the connection. You can buy vinyl tubing of varying diameters in the plumbing dept. at Lowes or Home Depot., it is sold by the foot.

*for 1/2" PVC I think you'll need 3/4" vinyl tubing. for 3/4"PVC,I think you'll need 1" vinyl tubing. PVC is measured by the I.D. (Inside Diameter), you will need to find vinyl tubing that goes over the exterior of the PVC, so it must be a larger diameter than the PVC's exterior diameter. a bit of spit on the PVC, & in the vinyl tubing will help the vinyl tubing slip onto the PVC. You can always take a piece of PVC over to the tubing display and see what will fit over it,(tightly).

8. Scifisarah

That is a really good idea to use the tubing as a sort of seal - I had not thought of that. I got 1/2" schedule 80 pvc and made it work. The outlet in the tank I tried to put the 90 degree elbow on was about 1/16 smaller than the elbow (OD of the 1/2 pipe) so it would almost stay on, but slipped off. I took one of my daughter's silicone hair bands and put it around the lip of the outlet in the tank, and the elbow goes on perfectly. I will see about buying a correctly sized rubber o-ring when I go to Menards today. I'll post a photo in a bit, eating my Cocoa Krispies right now. :)

Fishheadz likes this.