Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Goldfish with only clamped pelvic fins

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Kayla Newer, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Kayla Newer

Kayla Newer New Member

I have a male ryukin that has spent the last two days chasing another goldfish, that I'm assuming is female, around my tank (which is fully cycled 90g with a 40g sump). Ammonia is 0, Nitrites is 0, PH is 7.5. Today I noticed that he was not himself, not coming up for food or swimming around the tank. He was hanging out away from the other fish mid-water.

I took him out and put him QT to monitor closely. I was examining him to see if anything was off and noticed that his pelvic fins are clamped, his caudal, dorsal and pectoral fins are normal and active. He's swimming around QT tank a little but is not eating.

Did he just tire himself out or is this a stress response from the other fish? If it is I can keep him separate from the main tank, as unfortunate as that is.

Thank you!
    Kay

2. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. He could just be tired from spawning. Just keep an eye on him and on the girl that he was chasing to make sure that other fish in the tank don't wear her out. Be aware that decorations in the tank, that although very pretty, can pose a danger to your fish during spawning as the males will slam the females into whatever they can to express her eggs. Keep an eye on them and give them a rest. Separate the female if need be.

Good luck and happy fishkeeping, Jim.