Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Good goldfish plants?

Discussion in 'Goldfish VS Plant' started by asteves, Aug 20, 2014.

1. asteves

asteves Active Member

What kind of plants do you have in your tank? I currently have anubias barteri, java fern, and some sort of moss ball. I'd like to add a larger variety, but no one seems to be able to agree on what is goldfish compatible. Help?

2. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

Usually plants with tougher, leathery leaves will do fine. Looks like you already have some goldfish-proof plants. Try different Anubias species, Cryptocoryne, Vallisneria. Also, some goldfish more interested in plants then another, and some like to uproot them. Best way is to try a variety and see what works for your tank and the inhabitants.

3. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

Java ferns, swords and tiger lotus.

4. ak47_chicago

ak47_chicago I am quitting..no more.

Any of Anubias will do well with goldfish. I just let its float on my tub. They don't really need lights source at all(in my experience only). or maybe my tub in the basement always of sun light during the day time.. Maybe that was why. Other then that I am happy with Anubias for my goldfish tub.

5. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

You can also float water lettuce and water hyacinth. I also particularly like the java fern 'Windelove'.

6. pooh

pooh Active Member

I have 3 anubias plants in my 55gal with a 4.5" and 5.25" Ranchu and they seem goldfish proof! They're pretty hardy plants

7. judge

judge Scholar of All Things

I use green fox tail. Good for breeding and tank decoration.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    mandy likes this.
  8. jcdeng

jcdeng Active Member

wow, just saw your YT channel, great looking fish. Can you let me know where u got the green fox tails from? I am looking to get some, and what light do you use on them?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  9. judge

judge Scholar of All Things

I used to sell them.

I believe you can order them online at any aquatic plant places. Also check your Local Fish Stores. The issue with these plants is that they bring unwanted pests.

So make sure you check your plant carefully before throwing it into the tank.