Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Group: Goldfish Newbie Trainer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by small_ranchu, Jan 3, 2014.

1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

We are proud to announce that we found a new user group called "goldfish apprentice". The member of the group will help us by training new hobbyist under supervision of breeders.

To become a member of this group, you must be a serious goldfish keeper(we will know from your posts) and active in our forum.

Hopefully this group will help newbies efficiently while breeders are busy with other advance tasks.

2. small_ranchu

Ci "*Ci*" is our first member in this group.

Welcome and hope you have patient with questions..

3. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

4. small_ranchu

we will go for more article for sure...

5. small_ranchu

Please welcome Corrie to the group..

6. Corrie

Corrie professional fish sitter

I think something like "goldfish coach" or something like that might be a tad better....
    ....looks like Ci is a noob! LOL

will do Boss!

7. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Ranchu Rancher

How about Goldfish Mentor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. small_ranchu

I just like the Japanese style of training which involves breeders and apprentices.

9. GlassGoldfish

GlassGoldfish sculpting ranchu daily Staff Member

The word "apprentice" just doesn't seem quite right in this situation, and could possibly cause even further confusion.

Look at a definition of apprentice:
    a person who works for another in order to learn a trade: an apprentice to a plumber.

The term "goldfish mentor" is much better, imo.

10. Corrie

Corrie professional fish sitter

I like...

supreme exalted all knowing goldfish newbie trainer

:panic:

11. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

If there's such a group, I think it should be Goldfish Mentorship where there are mentors and mentees (or apprentices).

12. small_ranchu

The best is Goldfish Newbie Trainer..

13. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Wasn't the whole point of this to have less new newbies helping newbies with the basics?

One of our problems is also to much confusing and advanced recommendation.

14. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

If you guys don't mind a suggestion,

If one of the mods were to supervise the newbie section and another would supervise the basic or advanced section the problem of confusing the newbies would be less i think. Keeping those two sections seperated would work best i think.

Main point im getting at is that in this way every forum user can share info and experiences based on their own level of expertise. This could prevent things like having to explain every little detail or stressing out the entire guppytank!

Also maybe an idea for the more advanced section is to allways have someone backup any disease related questions, at least i think that is important. Sometimes problems have a different cause then they seem to have and we should allways be carefull with suggesting medication/treatment.

Greetings, Hinfin

15. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

A couple of things, from my newbie standpoint.

This is a forum devoted to the SERIOUS art of proper goldfish keeping. The breadth and the depth of the knowledge available here is nothing short of stunning. I personally don't want to have my ability to avail myself of this forum jeopardized by folks who are not as serious about goldfish keeping...I'm wondering if there's a way to keep the less serious posts ( what do I name my fish, how many fish can I keep in a one
    gallon tank, does my gravel clash with my background) out of the forum. Is there a way to disallow a post from appearing UNLESS a certain protocol is followed? There does need, IMHO, to be more responsibility placed on newbies NOT to waste the forum's time. REQUIRING newbies to provide appropriate and compete information when registering to be a member or when requesting help from the clinic will weed out the less serious folks. Perhaps making more of the "optional" questions "required" would be beneficial. If someone is serious about this, they will understand these requirements and be willing to do what it takes to comply.

Also, in the clinic, would there be any way to allow only experienced members to reply? By doing this, newbs would not be able to reply and then the amount of erroneous information being posted would be reduced, and questions would be answered correctly.

As a newbie, I look for the posts of folks who have belonged to the forum for a long time and who's profile info and posts reveal their level of knowledge and experience. I think listing the amount of time being a member of the forum, the length of time keeping fish and in what capacity, would help EVERYONE on the forum. I look for certain members now and read ALL their posts as they have proven useful to me. Likewise, when I see certain names posting I just keep scrolling as I haven't found their posts useful.

Finally, I'd like to say that just BECAUSE someone IS new doesn't mean they are immature, lack useful experience, or haven't done their research. Just because someone is new, they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand or treated like a second class citizen. It should be a compliment to the forum when new people do join because it means newbs are looking to YOU ALL, to help them further their knowledge in goldfish culture...and isn't THAT what it's all about?

16. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

back - my thought

After our name, we have years in hobby, not on site. I hope the reader then makes his/her decision to take the advice or look elsewhere. maybe add a second number for breeding years?

Let us learn scale types before we mis- identify more fish.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  17. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

Dear bluebelly,

I actually have the same problem to identify, but it seems there is no general consensus on this subject.

Metallic-calico-matt, but there is soooooo much difference in between i even think 99% of the advanced GF keepers dont even see the difference.......

Anyway, keep investigating! :hi5:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  18. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  19. small_ranchu

Please welcome Henk(Hinfin) to Trainer Group...

:clap::clap::clap:

20. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

Thanks Fred, i will try and help out where i can!