Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Group: Goldfish Newbie Trainer

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by small_ranchu, Jan 3, 2014.

1. CStufft

CStufft Professional Breeder

AGA Chapters

Wasn't this mentorship, apprenticeship, teacher student, the whole point of AGA Chapter system? How many people have worked to form a chapter? You can on explain so much in writing and photos. You need to sit down, look at fish, discuss concerns, best practices, pros and con's, in person. I believe that with Ranchu we did study groups, the ones that participated in those would probably agree. If people truly want to grow in the hobby there is no better way to do so in person. Then come back here and further those discussions had in person and share with others from more diverse geographic regions.

2. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

That will be an ultimate solution. We are at imperfect world and still need to help other who need quick solution.. or who want to learn via internet. Some of them will get serious and will join one of the AGA chapeters in future(HOPEFULLY).

3. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

You never know what will evolve out of this situation, im here to learn and while im doing that ill help out those who have problems with keeping their GF(and are willing to do just that). Maybe not as organized as it should, but i hope it will work for all.

4. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

That works in Ohio but not many other areas of the country.

5. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

I would like to know if there are any chapters near Portland, OR.

6. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

Quick questions and answers on the internet only go so, especially if basic overall knowledge of fishkeeping is lacking. I agree with Chris, if you can interact with a mentor(s) either in person or on the phone you will learn much more. And what is not mentioned in these discussions is reading books to give you a basis for then asking questions. I sound like a fossil.

7. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

I agree with Nola - reference books are GREAT (I have many.) The main problem today is everyone seems to want a quick easy solution, and don't want to do the work (why should I change the water? Can't I just put a chemical in and fix the problem?) Carolyn :exact:

8. Ichthius

Ichthius Professional Breeder

Remember, those reading the books aren't here on a social forum asking basic questions.

9. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

What ever happened to common sense? I've been using it for years on goldfish before I ever had a book to read on goldfish... there was no internet.

10. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

It seems that there is not much common sense around these days ... how many posts have we had recently regarding keeping goldfish in 5 gallon tanks? 3? 4?

I'm already losing patience with these people ...

11. Hinfin

Hinfin Banned

Don't lose patience, they probably got them for christmas and now run into serious trouble. If we can help them along, maybe they can convince mum and dad they really do need a bigger tank.

I remember that when i was a kid i put my fish in the bathtub once and insisted i got a huge tank as a very early birthday gift. The next day my dad and i were ordering the glass to make my first serious tank, my god i was so happy!

Anyway, i know some can be really stubborn, but its better to ignore it more often then to lose patience. Anyway i think your handling it very well!

12. lacole725

lacole725 Active Member

It is surprising how many pets were kept in poor conditions because of the "accepted norm" and not having access to information, be it internet or books. I'm guilty of it, when I was a little kid. My parents followed the accepted norm. They kept a turtle (who was blind) in a ten gallon tank. I had a common goldfish in a bowl, I won tiny goldfish at the fair I kept in a 2 gallon tank, my grandmother had 3 or 4 fancy goldfish in a 10-20 gallon tank. The only water change they got was a once a month when she stripped down the entire tank. I once kept an African Hingeback Tortoise in a 10 gallon tank because I didn't know any better and that's what he was displayed in at the pet store. I hate myself for all of this and I am so glad I have forums to go to on the internet with experienced keepers. Since I've utilized forums like this, I noticed an overall improvement in the health of the pets I have kept. I remember the first time I read a (correct) care sheet for hermit crabs, I felt so bad knowing that the way I was keeping them was hurting them. From then on, I did extensive, proper research before even thinking about purchasing a certain animal.

13. small_ranchu

Please welcome our new Trainer.. guppychampion

14. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

welcome

I know you will do well. Glad to see you volunteer!

15. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 Aquatic Artist

It's really great to see a forum take an interest to help new people learn. Congrats to all those who have taken on this task.

16. small_ranchu

Please welcome LadySolo to our group..

17. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

welcome

Glad to see Lady Solo take the job. Good luck and hope you get a lot of questions to answer.