Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Half a water tank as a pond

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Big Red, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

I thought I'd share a picture of my home made ranchu pond with you guys. It's a glass fibre water tank which has been cut in half. The cover is a metal tube frame with shade cloth stretched over the top. I fill it with water pumped from a river nearby.

2. Big Red

3. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Looks great!

4. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

It looks great, however, I would think twice about using river water, (unless absolutely no other option is available, such as a water well). River water may contain many (potentially parasitic) organisms, and bacteria.
    It could be a total disaster. It could work really well for you, 50/50 chance.

CaliGold likes this.
  5. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Very nice. These large containers are excellent

I do not know what your day/night temperatures are like. Being shallow and completely above ground and outside, one of the things for these type of containers is the large temperature fluctuations between day and night. Goldfish can take it but it would be better to have small fluctuations. Just a thought because I saw you put up a shade cloth so the sun might be strong during the day.

Predator would be another potential concern.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

She should be fine, remember it is summer in South Africa now and even in winter, their climate is similar to central and southern california so perhaps with some heating in the winter should be ok

7. Big Red

Fortunately, we have a very temperate climate so there is not a significant difference between day time/night time and Summer/Winter temperatures in my area. A heater is not really necessary either as temperatures seldom drop below 10°C. You are quite right about river water Fishheadz. For that reason, I am forced to treat my fish for parasites on a regular basis. One of the benefits of river water though is I can use as much as I need at virtually no cost at all, this helps quite a bit as I use over 1000 litres a week! Haha. Regarding predators, we don't have any racoons or herons over here. We do however have 'hamerkops', a type of bird which likes fish... but they're quite shy of people and seldom come near a pond which is situated close to a house. I would like to make a larger cover at a later stage though

8. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You might try disinfecting your river water with potassium permanganate before using it in the pond.