Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Heating a small pond in the winter

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Aaron1, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Aaron1

Aaron1 Member

I'm looking for some advice on the best way to heat a small 180 gallon pond in the winter. My current plan is to use 1-2 300 watt pond de-icers that float on the surface with a built in thermostat at about 45F. Im also planing on putting some form of insulation over the top of the pond to help keep the heat in.
    I live in the south of england so the winters aren't too heavy but still get below freezing. and my pond is a 180 gallon pre set pond. I'm keeping black moors and telescope goldfish in there at the moment and would it would be much better if i could keep them in all year round.

Do you think this will work and be suitable for them. Many thanks, Aaron.

2. Earmuff1

Earmuff1 New Member

Hi Aaron, I am still learning.

it may work out very expensive to have a heater floating throughout the winter. Have the fish been outside for a year? They may be hardy and survive the winter. There are things you can do. Make sure you clean the bottom of the pond.

I kept all of my young fantails outside last year and they all survived. Don't feed the fish when it gets cold, and the water temperature falls below 10c. If your pond is less that 3 ft, then a heater could be used when the water freezes. The heater can be used to prevent ice covering the whole of the surface. You can purchase some double walled polycarbonate sheets. If these are used to cover the pond it will allow the light to get in and hold the heat.

The advantage of leave your fish to winter is the cold spell helps them to breed in the spring. For next year make sure you build up the strength of your fish during the autumn to improve their chances of surviving. They will put the weight on in the spring. All the best.

3. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

You might try one of these. I've heard good things about them from people who live where it gets really cold.

4. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member