Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

help with tank.

Discussion in 'Goldfish Conversation' started by CathyK, Jan 19, 2016.

1. CathyK

CathyK Active Member

ok so you know i have a new tank, its been running for about 2 months now. the water was crystal clear the first 2 or three weeks, since then its been cloudy, on the 14th i did a water change and a vaccuming.
    the next morning i see this:

last night i did a 25 percent water change again added accuclear and stresss coat. im afraid my fish are gonna die.
    tested the water, ph is 7.0 high range ph is between 7.4 to 7.8 ammonia is 0.25 before water change and 0 after.
    nitrite is between 0 and 0.25. and nitrate is 5.0 before water change 0 after.

is there any chemicali should be adding? are 25 percent water changes enough or do i have to do a larger change.

Attached Files:

2. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

Wow, that is really cloudy! Did your city change anything in its water maybe? Or have you had any severe storms recently? Sometimes when we've got really bad weather out here for a week the water starts looking cloudy coming out of the tap.

It's there any way you could replace the tank water with filtered, RO or bottled water? I don't know if the cloudiness itself is a threat to the fish (hopefully someone else knows), but maybe by replacing it with clean water you can at least buy some time to get more answers.

3. CathyK

CathyK Active Member

no nothing has changed, the water was cloudy but not like this, im so fusterated.....but need to get this tank right. i dont know what else to do

4. CathyK

CathyK Active Member

in my other tank ive never had a problem with the water quality, im very upset,

5. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Are there any dead fish?

6. CathyK

CathyK Active Member

no none.

7. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

It's most likely a bacteria bloom, especially since the tank is still cycling. Change the water out everyday and it should go away.

8. CathyK

CathyK Active Member

ok thankyou

9. CathyK

CathyK Active Member

should i do large water changes or 25 percent changes?

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

did you notice this condition after you vacuumed the tank?. Your tank is still very new, just vacuum one half of the tank at a time this way you do not deplete the beneficial bacteria. Ease up on the feeding. Use Prime as your dechlor.

11. CathyK

CathyK Active Member

i purchased prime a few hours ago from amazon should be here in a few days. ive eased up on the feeding. was feeding twice a day now once a day.
    is it safe to add stress coat and accu clear everyday with water changes?

12. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

no need to add anymore chemicals. just dechlorinator for the tap water.
    what filter are you using? it could just be from disturbing the substrate. if your filter is good enough it will clear it up within an hr or two. I have a feeling you may be under filtered if your still getting reading of ammonia.