Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Hemorrhoid?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by aaronv26, Jan 21, 2016.

1. aaronv26

aaronv26 Active Member

Can goldfish get hemorrhoids or something of the sort? My fish has developed this over the last day or so, it's reddish and protruding right on the vent. I am certain this is not just a poop. Has anyone experienced this? Or have an idea to what might be going on?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Faebinder

Faebinder Well-Known Member

Indeed I never thought I'd see one in a fish but it is certainly possible with any anal outlet of any animal (I'm not a fish doctor). Can you grab the fish and give us more direct pictures while holding the tail away from the anal spinchter.

Best treatment is soft diet with low residue for 3 months. I'm thinking maybe green peas and soilent green.

3. csoth1

csoth1 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's anal prolapse. I don't know that there is a lot to be done about it once it happens. A large concern I would have is that it can be a symptom of parasitic infection.

4. Faebinder

If it is a full prolapse and not a hemorrhoid (make sense cause the size is big) then it's prone to infections unless you can surgically fix it but who is gonna spend that money on surgery.

5. aaronv26

aaronv26 Active Member

Updating. So I don't leave this post to wonder.

So a couple days after the first photos I posted, the vent started to get another mass, which looked like this..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was a little worried at this point, although the fish had acted completely normal through the process of this, as well as still eating and being able to poop with these things hanging off her bum. The following morning after I took these photo’s I checked the fish out and the vent looked red and irritated but the masses were completely gone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I really don't know what happened here, hemorrhoids or not, I’m just glad the issue fixed itself and is healing. The whole process from when I first noticed, to it being gone was around 5 day’s total.

6. Faebinder

If this is truly anal prolapse then it will come and go especially if constipated.