Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Herpes

Discussion in 'Goldfish Clinic' started by kendal, Dec 29, 2011.

1. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

every where, you are correct

Every sample sent to the lab but one, tested positive for ghv. So good husbandry and heat treat if an outbreak.

2. CCor

CCor Member

Found this paper on CyHV-2 from the journal, Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, published Sep 3, 2013. Maybe it could be of use. Only the abstract is available. Perhaps someone can get access through a university.

Growth of cyprinid herpesvirus 2 (CyHV-2) in cell culture and experimental infection of goldfish Carassius auratus

http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/dao/v105/n3/p193-202/

3. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

fins

Five years ago we experimented with fin clipping. Inaccurate for 100% accurate detection. Hoped we could test fish with out euthanizing them. Tissue culture can be used to grow the virus but unless you have kidney tissue it is not accurate.
    We have approached most of the establishments here, and i have solicited the private sector , for funds as we believe we have broken ground for a vaccine. No money from here, from importers or foreign farms as of yet.
    Any thoughts or ideas please pm me.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  4. TheTruth

TheTruth Professional Breeder

awful rash

ny post headline,awful rash.nyc health dept.stated that workers and customers who handle live or raw fish from chinatown markets could be exposed to a bacteria that causes swelling and bumps on their hands and arms.the infection enters the skin through a cut.30 cases have been identified.

5. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

6. Jikin Junkie

Jikin Junkie Well-Known Member

Fish keepers disease

Just recently a fellow fish keeping friend of mine took a job at a local hospital for computer IT stuff. He had to take a test for TB. His test results came back as false positives because it turns out he had been exposed to fish tank granuloma, Mycobacterium marinum. He had to explain about his fish keeping hobby and retest.

7. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

animal care workers

retired and former animal care workers from zoos and aquariums continue to get tested years after they leave the facility. As you enter each enclosure at a zoo there is a foot bath to stop the spread of nasties.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User Guest

Never heard of this before....

I've heard of Carp Pox before but never KHV. Is it a relative to Herpes Zoster? I know shingles is opportunistic and strikes when people are stressed out and their immune systems are low. Does KHV have the same habit of coming back at a period of stress? Are goldfish carriers forever once they have it? Would acyclovir stop it from reproducing like it does with herpes zoster?

Glenn

9. bluebelly

bluebelly Ambassador

different

KHV=Koi Herpes Virus
    GHV= Goldfish Herpes Virus.
    They are different from each other. There are threads and papers on the subject here on the site. Goldfish can carry both. Koi only there own.
    Announcement (good positive news) forth coming on both viruses.
    Go to the first page of this thread for the paper from Goodwin. Goodwin and I worked on this for years and put a name to this disease after many years of unexplained imported fish loss.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  10. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

Looking forward to any announcement on this subject that is "good positive news". Thanks Bluebelly, looking forward to said announcement.

11. WVfishguy

WVfishguy Active Member

Interesting thread. I was diagnosed with Mycobacterium marinum many years ago, although I already knew what it was and that I probably had it (lesions on my arm). As a professional aquarist, I saw too many African cichlids et al. infected with M. marinum not to get it myself. About 25 years ago, I lost my entire collection of fancy goldfish (many expensive Japanese imports) and every Angelfish in my fish room (I was breeding Angels for sale at the time) to what I and others believed was Costia. Rid-ich was recommended at the time, but the disease wiped out the infected fish in 12-48 hours with no time for medications to take effect. We had no knowledge of fish herpes at the time, or at least no one I contacted knew anything about it. To this day I am a big believer of UV light filtration. I would not set up a customer's aquarium without a UV filter. I echo positive sentiments on Melafix. I've had large cichlids with chunks bitten off regrow large areas of flesh after treatment with Melafix. Damned if I know why - I never expected said cichlids to even survive their wounds, never mind get well in just a few weeks' time. I only used Melafix at the insistence of a LPS who gave it to me for free. That stuff is weird. Tea tree oil from wally-world also cured my wife's toenail fungus in a few days.

thePhysicist and nolaveils like this.
  12. thePhysicist

thePhysicist Well-Known Member