Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Hi All (and I should have known better)

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by JoanPayson, May 11, 2017.

1. JoanPayson

JoanPayson New Member

I have a 75 gallon tank with three beautiful goldfish running now for about 5yrs with no issues ,I also have an empty 20 gl. that has been set up to grow duckweed for a couple years. Well this morning I was at a big box score running an errand when I walked by their fish section and saw a tank full of baby oranda goldfish Half the fish were dead and the rest looked close behind. Well the mother in me took over and I bought the three healthiest looking ones but they still look terrible. I have them isolated in my 20 gall. duckweed tank but don't know what else to do. They are very lethargic and emancipated but I just couldn't bear to leave them in that place . Does anyone have any tips that may increase their chance of returning to good health?

2. PHorst

PHorst Active Member

Pristine water, really good filtration, and several small meals daily. If they were mine, I would also start with a course of prazi, since most LFS fish come with gill flukes and other parasites. Goldfish can be tough, so you may see some improvement after the prazi.

JoanPayson likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

use one teaspoon of icecream/rock salt per gallon, replace when changing water. Use prazi as instructed

JoanPayson likes this.
  4. JoanPayson

JoanPayson New Member

ok ,salt will start today .will the prazi harm the good bacteria in my filter? ? I'm planning on changing 1 gl of water everyday or is this too much or too little . I feel like anything I do that adds stress may finish them off.

5. magdela

magdela Active Member

Prazi does not affect the good bacteria.

JoanPayson likes this.
  6. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Change at least 5 gallons a day.

7. JoanPayson

JoanPayson New Member

yay day two no deaths,I'll pick up some prazi on the way home from work.Two of the three seem a little better ,exploring environment.The third ? time will tell.I'll report better after work

solis likes this.
  8. solis

solis Member

i have no advice to offer but good luck, and please keep us updated!

9. JoanPayson

JoanPayson New Member

Well this story has a mostly happy ending.Two of the three goldfish survived and seem to be adjusting to life in the big tank. Sadly,the third little guy didn't make it and passed away on day 3. Lessons learned are ,keeping the duckweed tank going is a good idea and 2nd, STAY OUT OF BIG BOX STORES. Thanks for the advice and the good wishes.

solis likes this.
  10. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

At least you know the most important thing, QUARANTINE, QUARANTINE, QUARANTINE !

Good Luck and Happy Fishkeeping, Jim.