Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

High Nitrates Please Help.....

Discussion in 'Advance Water Quality' started by howematt, Aug 22, 2014.

1. howematt

howematt Member

Hello Everyone...

I recently lost my 7 year old Comet Brutis to high Nitrate poisoning.. He was 17" long and a great fish. My situation/timeline

2008-2014 I kept a 75gallon tank with 2 or 3 large comets. No problems. I used a magnum 350 filter with Bio wheel and a Fluval FX5 with porous lava rock in the basket. I always fed the fish 3-5 times daily they were pigs. I changed about 50% water monthly and the media in the filters about every month and a half. Never any partial water changes. Never lost any fish. Lived in the country with a well (different location than below)

Spring 2014
    I upgrade to a 210 gallon dual overflow tank. Using 2 fluval FX5 filters. I threw out (dumb move I know) my old porous lava rocks and started with all new Seachem Matrix rocks. I then started using the Seachem Purigen 100ml pouches (2) one in each filter. I use gravel about the size of a pea (river rock) and I believe I had it too deep as I developed little white worms (Planaria). I began to remove rocks. I use all plastic plants, an old steel beer can, golf ball, and a driftwood stump I found and cleaned up.
    About the 3rd month Brutis starts sitting around a lot, not moving or eating. His normally clear fins are showing red. By the time I figure out that he is being poisoned I tried like hell for about a week with daily 25% water changes, introducing aeration, and stopped feeding to no avail. He dies, but I have 2 other comets 15â€￾-16â€￾ long that were not affected (visually)
    I get my water tested at the Pet Shop. My nitrates are as high as can be measured on their color sheet, around 160. A few weeks later I get my own water testing kit. Today I test my water and it is super high again.
    I live in the country and have well. It’s a farming community and after testing tap water I cannot tell the difference, as they both have high nitrates. What can I do to lower these nitrates on such a large tank? Please help……..

Attached Files:

2. fantail1

fantail1 Professional Breeder

Are you saying the nitrates are coming in naturally? If not the answer is to change more water more frequently. 50% per week would be a good starting point.

3. chocky

chocky Well-Known Member

He said his tap is also very very high nitrates.

4. GreenTea

GreenTea Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

I have have very high tap nitrates as well. Mine are at least 80ppm at all times. I am able to keep the nitrates at 10-20 in the tank by adding tons of large floating plants like water lettuce and using prime or amquel plus water conditioner. I have to provide lots of light to these plants, but they make all the difference and supply my fish with food as well.

I also add tons of biological filtration material, I use sponges and ceramic media only. They last forever and work well for me.

I hope this is helpful to you and you are able to get nitrates under control. You can also consider using some chemical components to your filter to remove nitrates - I have never used these so I can't recommend anything however.

5. GreenTea

GreenTea Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

I have have very high tap nitrates as well. Mine are at least 80ppm at all times. I am able to keep the nitrates at 10-20 in the tank by adding tons of large floating plants like water lettuce and using prime or amquel plus water conditioner. I have to provide lots of light to these plants, but they make all the difference and supply my fish with food as well.

I also add tons of biological filtration material, I use sponges and ceramic media only. They last forever and work well for me.

I hope this is helpful to you and you are able to get nitrates under control. You can also consider using some chemical components to your filter to remove nitrates - I have never used these so I can't recommend anything however.

6. James Ludlow

James Ludlow New Member

Can you use ro and remineralising powder to bring it up to hardness?

Over here i can cut the tap water with ro, but we have a legal limit of 50ppm nitrate from tap. I also have extremely hard water, so a 50/50 mix still leaves me with a good amount of hardness.

With levels of no3 like that though, I suspect that you would make the water far too soft in bringing the nitrate levels down.

James

7. howematt

howematt Member

Thank you for the input. Still working on getting everything under control.

- Stopped by the pet store. Was told that high Nitrate alone is not a cause for concern. It becomes a problem when Nitrates AND nitrites are high together. This was new to me.....

8. Mykuhl

Mykuhl Active Member

Was not the Purigen helping to reduce the nitrate? I have read that it is excellent for reducing nitrate. Although it does need to be recharged regularly for it to remain effective. As already mentioned keeping a lot of fast growing plants is a good way to keep nitrate down to like levels...sometimes even at zero.

9. danarea

danarea goldiefanatic

That is incorrect. High nitrates ARE a cause for concern. That is why we test for them. Please continue your efforts to get them within a more tolerable range...40 or below.

10. ranchumatt

ranchumatt Hobbyist Breeder

I second that opinion. ANY amount of nitrite is a big concern. And as for nitrate, the lower the better.......below 40ppm if possible (with water changes being by far the preferred method of reducing nitrate).

11. KrisKustom

KrisKustom Well-Known Member

Is rain water collection a possibility? That would seem like the easiest solution. At least you could mix in 50% rain water.

12. LyinHead

LyinHead Active Member

If you could age enough water for your water changes even non aquatic plants will make quick work of nitrates. Like green tea was saying, I use plants to keep nitrates at 0 in my tanks. Pothos, spider plants, and other vascular plants that dont get woody and remain green and viny are good. I clean all the soil from the roots, let them dangle in the water of my tanks. It's completely cycled, within good stocking limits and feeding routine. I do water changes for mineral induction and hormone removal, no better water than fresh water. Hope you get your issue resolved, sorry for your loss.

13. goldfinger

goldfinger Member

You could invest in Ro machine and put back some minerals into the water or mix both to balance it out and reduce the Nitrate?