Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Hikari Goldfish Gold

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by Iaidoka, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Iaidoka

Iaidoka Well-Known Member

Okay so my pearlscale Emrakul used to live in my ranchu tank and her diet consisted of Hikari lionhead pellets and FBW. I have recently placed her in a tank of her own with two baby pearlscales and changed the diet from lionhead pellets to ''Goldfish Gold'' floating pellets. Must say that in less than a week of eating this pellet her orange has turn a deep brighter colour.

I am just concerned that floating pellets might cause SBD, do any og you guys use floating pellets with success?

http://www.hikari.info/gold/g_01.html

2. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Like virtually everyone who keeps fish in ponds, I have used only floating pellets for years. I haven't had any fish with buoyancy problems.

Iaidoka likes this.
  3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

IMO I do not believe that swim bladder issues are caused by floating pellets. I think swim bladder issues are caused from a multitude of issues and food is probably the least important. However do not feed your fish flake food of any kind. I recommend gel foods as your daily food with a good pellet food, frozen blood worms etc as supplements

Ichthius likes this.
  4. micra

micra Active Member

Someone posted a youtube vid awhile ago on how to make floating pellets sink. And I can testify, the process shown works as advertised! So if you WANT to sink them, you certainly can...

Chao Vang likes this.
  5. Hiccup

Hiccup Well-Known Member

I've fed sinking and floating on different occasions..........generally, brands that use better ingredients tend to make their food sinking (NLS, northfin etc,). Once in a while, you find good quality pond sticks that float, so I've experimented with those and found no correlation between floating food and sbd. I can say, however, that poor quality ingredients (lots of fillers, wheat, soy etc.) can contribute to sbd.

6. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

After years of observation, I've come to the conclusion that a lack of green surface algae in a goldfish's diet is the main cause of swim bladder issues. Many folks swear by green peas as a good substitute for green algae.

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

If you think about what a goldfish eats in nature i.e. sifting through the bottom of sandy ponds/rivers eating a variety of organisms, then we feed them compact pellet like foods you can deduce a correlation between these foods and swimming issues. I still believe that these pellet foods do not cause (directly) swimming issues but contributed to them along with genetic structure of these fancy fish means that they probably do no process these pellet foods very well

Big Red likes this.
  8. El Djago

El Djago Member

sink them with a syringe.. used to feed green peas but i now i feed wheatgerm, really pulls the poop out..

9. Brae.m

Brae.m Active Member

Great video, for my pellets i feed Hikari Lionhead and Oranda gold but was soaking the gold and squishing them with my finger.... the syringe is way more effective

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk