Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

homemade 40 gallon sump

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Erin80, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Erin80

Erin80 Active Member

Relatively new to the fish world. I started with one fish and a bowl with no filtration at all (yuck, a bowl, I know). Within a year, I have graduated to a 75 gallon tank and a homemade 40 gallon sump filtration system. I started searching for a sump to buy and quickly discovered they are NOT cheap!! So me and my boyfriend jumped into action obtaining as much information as we could find on how to make our own sump. It took us a few weeks, and a few errors, but here's what we ended up with, and it works GREAT!!! My tank has been crystal clear ever since we got it up and running and I am so glad we decided to ditch the canister filters and go this route! If you have the space and the $$, I HIGHLY recommend a sump filtration system! :exact:

Attached Files:

2. Kaii

Kaii Active Member

I would be very interested in learning how you did that. I love building things and it looks like a worthy investment for a larger tank

3. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

Couldn't really follow all the pipes, seems like you have two inlets on each side and the return is somewhere...

Are you using the canister filter in the sump itself?

Interesting none the less, seems like you have plenty of filtration there.

4. Erin80

Erin80 Active Member

I took pictures of the entire building and set-up processes and was planning on doing a step by step post, but my digital camera went crazy and corrupted all the pictures on my SD card, SSSIGHHHH. Yes, two inlets, and two outlets which run to the custom made spray bar. My entire set-up is all custom made (aside from the canister filters). The canister filters are sucking from the tank and dumping into the sump. The canisters are only filled with filter floss. In general, everything needed to build this was relatively cheap. I paid more for filter media than I did for all the rest of the materials needed.