Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Homer Bucket for water Change - $1

Discussion in 'Discount Corner' started by small_ranchu, Dec 3, 2015.

1. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

Amy S and Fishheadz like this.
  2. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

If you have friends who own restaurants, they get a lot of 3 gallon white buckets when different foods are delivered to them. Check with them; they have a lot and don't know what to do with all of them.
    PS: They have the lids too.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  3. small_ranchu

small_ranchu Admin Staff Member

True. I got a few of them.. Just need to make sure, you wash carefully before dragging them into fish hobby. :)

4. High Ranchu

High Ranchu Professional Breeder

Just make sure that the handle is attached securely ... or a big accident is inevitable.

5. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Lou and small_ranchu like this.
  6. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

These Dollar store 3-gallon buckets are very versatile for water changes and filters. I use them to DIY filters for large stock tanks. Put a 1.5" PVC pipe (with lots of holes drilled on the bottom) and lots of various bio-media (foam, lava rock, etc). Then use enough air (at least 5 liters per minute) and the filter has enough capacity for 6-12 adult goldfish. Deeper tanks/ponds can use the taller 5-gallon buckets that will give even more capacity. I use a few of the 5-gallon filters in my 1,000 gallon pond. All hardware stores have their own version of these buckets. Or go to some Chinese restaurants (you may even see some goldfish in tanks/ponds there) and ask for some soy sauce buckets. These are the thick/heavy duty 5-gallon buckets.

The black colored ones last the longest.

Menards (mid-west chain store) has similar buckets posted by OP and they are also on sale a few times a year for $1 each.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015