Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

How did we do?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Grooming' started by calicomj, Sep 3, 2017.

1. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Got him about a year ago. From Walmarts SMALL GOLD FANTAIL tank... But I know a baby Ryukin when I see one. Paid $2 for him. He lost much of the white under his belly but kept a few white scales on his side and he kept that cute white strip right before his tail. He also still has a SLIGHT curve to the top of his head, though its much better than before.

First photo is gotcha day... And then two more from today. 7 grams to about 70 grams. I never measure my fancies in inches so idk his inches exactly.

DSCN0742_zps90p3zi0y (1).jpg IMG_20170903_122133_kindlephoto-2803870.jpg IMG_20170903_122052.jpg

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

as I have stated before good job with your grooming, can you share how you groom your fish

3. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

Well... I put them in water and I feed them. XD

But seriously these guys are cheap and I am poor. This dude went into a small porch pond last year. 11" deep and 70 gallons with two other fish his size. In January I got a 500 gallon pool. Depth of water about 19". He went there Contrary to what many believe, I don't think very deep water is best for fancies. Seems to cause higher instances of swim bladder. He spent about 4 months earlier this year in green water. Not on purpose. New pond just turned green. Did wonders for his red though.

I fed them Repashy foods mostly, though I'm beginning to have trouble affording it as they grow TBH. Soilent Green, Super Green, Meat Pie, and spawn and grow. I mix the foods up different each batch. Figure they may like the taste difference. In cooler months I fed 80% super green in the batch and 20% shouldn't green. Not much food. Few times a day in warm weather. Once a day or not at all in cooler/colder weather.

I feed them YFS seafood crumbles or AAP Paradigm Herbicides for dry food mostly. I don't prefer pellets but I also feed them Ken's krill pellets in really warm water as well as tuna fish and zoo meds can of shrimp and blood worms sometimes. They also get blackwater floating pellets weekly. For treats they get Hikari Seaweed extreme and Azoo Plus ultra fresh. They like the Tetra tank nibblers as well

Bi weekly small changes with huge changes every so often. Ph is very high at around 8.8. Gh generally low. Can't do much about either of those. I'm fairly new to fish keeping but I do love Ryukins very much. Their humps are sooooo cute.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

well whatever you are doing keep it up because you are grooming some nice fish

calicomj likes this.