Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

How old of an aquarium....

Discussion in 'Discount Corner' started by Amy S, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Amy S

Amy S Professional Breeder

would you buy?
    I am thinking about a 130 with a good price on it. It is at least 10 years old......
    Craiglist.

2. Kaii

Kaii Active Member

As long as it fills up, I'd buy it and give it a good cleaning! Silicone can always be replaced too.

3. Virginia ranchu

Virginia ranchu Professional Breeder

If it's going to be a display tank, check to see how scratched the glass is. I've really messed up some tanks by scouring the sides with a sandy sponge. Otherwise, I have 20 year old tanks that have never needed resealing, so I wouldn't worry much about a 10 year old tank.

Sounds like a find.

Rob

4. jcdeng

jcdeng Active Member

its a gamble, even if you check and saw no leaks at the seller's house, moving it from one place to another might cause a crack on the glass or leak in the silicon.

5. TVRfan

TVRfan Professional Breeder

The same could be said buying a brand new tank from a lfs. Life is a gamble.
    As above, I would check it for leaks before purchasing, but then if it looks good, holds water, no reason not to buy a good deal older tank. Also as stated above, silicone can be replaced. I have a few tanks in use that are probably older than 50% of the people on this forum. As I am typing this I am sitting less than two feet from a 180 that is well over 10 years old.

6. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

Yes. As long as the glass is reasonable intact. You could completely rebuild it if necessary for super cheap compared to buying it new.
    That is as long as you are comfortable doing that sort of thing.

7. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

my 55 is every bit of 20 yrs old (and was used when it was acquired then), while I did have to remove all of the old sealant, and reseal it, my guess is, it should last another 20 yrs.

8. LadysSolo

LadysSolo Breeder/keeper

My 5 gallon betta breeder tanks I have from when I was a new fish keeper - metal frame, slate bottom, 49-year-old tanks. Work just fine, been resealed once. :exact:

9. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

I have one of those. It was leaky when I got it, so I dug out all that black stuff that was sealing it and resealed it all.

10. Jonas Axman

Jonas Axman Member

I have a tank that is 30-35 years old now, still the original silicon in it and no leaks. Has been empty for the most of that time but I use it again now. The silicone is still very soft. But I do not think I would want to buy it used, it is after all very old. :)