Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

How to make decor Fish Safe (epoxy?)

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by Ashtonmn, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Ashtonmn

Ashtonmn Member

Hi,
    I'm trying to develop a cool chinese bamboo forest for my goldfish. I plan to surround a cool large center piece ( like a temple, or a unique buddha statue) with live aquatic bamboo plants. I am desperately trying to find a way to water-seal and make fish safe, this central piece, which may very well be made of a non-fish safe material, like painted resin, or metal. I have heard of a type of epoxy but it needs to be able to coat something, not be gooey and hard to spread. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make any decor fish safe with a type of acrylic, epoxy, or silicone coating?

2. Fishheadz

Fishheadz Well-Known Member

The "aquatic Bamboo" you speak of, is not an "aquatic" plant.
    It is called "Lucky bamboo", however it is not actually bamboo, it's dracaena, usually Dracaena sanderiana. It can not be fully submerged in water. I think it's considered a "Semi Aquatic" plant, as it grows above the water line. The leaves/foliage will rot if left submerged. Goldfish might eat the roots, if exposed.

3. Chi

Chi Active Member

You may be able to find the centerpiece sold as an item intended for aquarium use. The other option would be to find one made of stone. Ensure the stone will not alter your pH! It should be good to go once you thoroughly clean it, boiling is an easy and efficient method. It will even serve as a place for beneficial bacteria to make their home.

As for the lucky bamboo, it can't be submerged. However, you can purchase bamboo stems that are taller than your tank surface and leave them sticking out. The leaves will not be submerged, and the roots could be buried in the substrate, giving you your bamboo forest and providing nutrition for the plant. Watch for yellowing leaves and pull them off if you notice them beginning to lose colour.

4. Lanthia

Lanthia Active Member

You can find all kinds of cool asian themed decor for aquariums. Just google it. I saw several neat budhha heads when I was looking for my vintage mermaid.

I suggest you fill any decor with sand and seal it off with silicone. That way you won't have a "bad buddha" full of detritus.

Please let us see pics when you get it done.

5. Zackariath

Zackariath Member

I always visit ebay for decorations and make sure I just order from within my country so it doesnt take a long time to arrive. Another great place is to buy on Aquabid because people are always getting rid of their used equipment for cheap. It trully is a blessing.