Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

idea for cheap fish tub what do you think?

Discussion in 'D.I.Y' started by HenrikB, Dec 21, 2015.

1. HenrikB

HenrikB Active Member

Take a standard pallet and put 2 pallet collars on it. put thin styrofoam inside to protect inside. use pondliner to make it water tight. you guys think it will work?

Henrik

2. HenrikB

HenrikB Active Member

Maybe rhis is better? How deep should it be?
    [​IMG]

Skickat från min LG-D855 via Tapatalk

3. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

I think as long as it absolutely won't leak, and it won't leak any toxins into the water or anything, it's a fine idea :) Maybe if you figured out how to make it really big (or long) you could do a sort of indoor pond for viewing goldfish in top view :)

GoldenMcNewbie likes this.
  4. HenrikB

HenrikB Active Member

The ibc on the pic is food grade i get them for free from the company next to where i work they get ingridents for food manufacturing in them and they are water proof. This how the ibc looks before me cutting it in half.
    It holds 175 gallons.
    [​IMG]

GoldenMcNewbie likes this.
  5. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

IBCs cut in half are perfect. Many hydroponics/aquaponics folks use them for both fish tank and grow beds. They will last forever indoors. just given them a good wash.

Now get a few 55-gallon drums to make some filters and you can keep a lot of goldfish. :)

Gold Digger and CaliGold like this.
  6. HenrikB

HenrikB Active Member

Hehe iknow we have a aquaponics system at work thats where i got the idea! 3 ibcs with tilapia and catfish.
    If you want to keep alot of fish use a ibc as mbbr and a 55 gallon drum as radialflow filter you should be able to run like 6-8 100 gallon cut ibc's with that :)
    The water changes will be a pain the ass thou... Around a 1000 gallons in system like that:)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  7. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

I tried some aquaponics this year. I used a 110-gallon stock tank (12 adult goldfish) as the fish tank and a 50-gallon stock tank as the grow bed using lava rocks. The water was pumped from the fish tank to a 55-gallon drum reservoir with a 5 gallon bucket as a solids filter, then to the grow bed, and finally flow back to the fish tank.

I grew green onions, garlic chives, basil and a few other herbs. It went very well. I was doing some small scale testing because eventually I want to have some kind of vegetable/bog filter pond for my 20,000 galloon koi pond.

I was going to suggest the 110-gallon stock tank but saw you are from Sweden. Here in the USA, Tractor Supply has that 110-gallon stock tank for only $60 regular price and $50 when on sale. It is a perfect golf fish container.

TwistedNerve likes this.
  8. HenrikB

HenrikB Active Member

Just so u know you need at least the same ammount of gallons in your grow bed as you have in fish tank 1:2 ratio is optimum

9. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Ya. Thanks. I was just doing some testing. Actually I bought two more 40-gallon tubs as extra grow beds but our growing season here is very short. So I never added these two tubs.

10. HenrikB

HenrikB Active Member

Use 55 gallon barrels cut them in half lenghtwise that works

11. HenrikB

HenrikB Active Member

12. Lou

Lou Well-Known Member

Yes. Before I started my aquaponics experiment, I did a lot of reading and the 55-gallon drum was one of the most useful thing. I have also seen people cutting the barrel height wise so they effectively have two 25 gallon fish tanks from each barrel. The plugs would have to be in good condition to seal one of the two halves.

Now I have 7 of these barrels. Two of them are serving as a connected sump for my 120 gallon tank so the effective system has over 200 gallons of water. In the two 55-gallon drums, I have two 5-gallon buckets serving as a combination of wet/dry, trickle, moving bed filter for the large aquarium. Here is an old pic of it, taking from the back side.
    120-3.JPG

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
    Gold Digger likes this.