Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Intex pool use for goldfish

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by sharm, Jan 23, 2016.

1. sharm

sharm Active Member

I'm relatively new to the forum. I was wondering how many of you have experience with using Intex pools for goldfish. My questions are as follows:
    1) How do they hold up over a period of years?
    2) Do you place padding under them?
    3) Is the bottom really a thinner material than the sides?
    4) What do you think of the framing material?

I am not a "fish nerd" at this time but I do want to learn as much as I can. I know that there is a lot of experience on this forum to be accessed and I want to gain that knowledge so as not to make mistakes.

Respectfully,
    Mary

2. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

The thickness of the material and the framing are sound and sturdy (at least when I used a few types last summer. these sorts of things are always being "optimized" for more profits so expect them to get wimpier as time goes on).
    I didn't use padding, but then I didn't have mine on any hard surface. I had mine on a rubber roof back "patio".
    At any rate, I can't comment on how they will hold up after many years, I used mine for a summer and they are in fine condition were I to use them again. Which I won't because they are a real pain to clean and store.
    I'd recommend them in a pinch for a small grow-out, but I'm going to look for something stronger like HDPE or fiberglass for the future. Ideally something I can nest and stack in a garage and easily hose off to clean.

3. sharm

sharm Active Member

@Ununique I do not know what "HDPE" stands for and I have been looking for Laguna or fiberglass solutions but have not had a lot of luck in my price range as a grad school student. :(

Respectfully,
    Mary

4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Which Intex pool are you considering?

5. Lukass

Lukass Member

6. Iaidoka

Iaidoka Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly the lining have a 5 year warranty.

7. sharm

sharm Active Member

@shakaho I was considering the 48x48x12 model. @Lukass Yes, that was where I first became aware of them. @laidoka Thanks for the knowledge about the five year warranty. I'm just trying to do the best by my fish.

Respectfully,
    Mary

8. Joshua's golds

Joshua's golds Well-Known Member

I have been looking at stock tanks from farm stores... Ones that the use for watering cattle or horses. I have to do all indoor fish keeping since I live in a 12 floor flat overlooking the bay. I have been pricing out some of he Laguna compared to these stock tanks, the stock tanks are much more reasonable. On Amazon they are readily available, but also if u can go to a local farm and feed store they are even more reasonably priced. I might even get the galvanized one since it would go better with my urban repurposed/industrial look I have in my apartment. So far I have not heard any negative responses to the zinc coating on these galvanized stock tanks, has anyone ever used them or know how it will effect fish? I know farmers have been using common goldfish for years in these to keep algae and insect larvae down for hire livestock watering purposes.

9. shakaho

I didn't see any warranty with mine. I have one outside but not yet populated with fish since I have to build a surround and a cover to protect against predators, not to mention making a level platform. My skills do not include carpentry, so this process is very slow, and the cost of that so far is more than twice what I paid for the pool. I don't expect it to last more than 2-3 years.

A plastic stock tank can be converted to a well-plumbed and protected pond in an afternoon. The Tuff Stuff 110 gallon makes a very nice little pond for a modest price.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  10. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

11. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

It certainly should; it's made to hold drinking water for cattle/horses, I don't see the harm a few goldfish could do.

@Joshua's golds, if you don't want to take a risk with the metal interacting with the water (or an accidental leak), you could always buy that spray pond-liner stuff and coat the inside of the galvanized tub with it. Might even give you a better background to see your fish against. Just remember to tape off the edges so you don't get it on the outside of the tub as well. Or use regular pond liner. I'm sure it would look great in an industrial-looking apartment. :)

12. shakaho

Virtually nothing sticks to galvanized metal. Many people have tried to paint these tanks and failed. If you like the look and have no interest in any plumbing through the tank walls, it will work fine and won't harm the fish.. You can put a pipe through a metal tank but it's not the 10 minute job it would be with a plastic tank and a uniseal

That makes an awesome above ground pond and will last long term. People here use it a lot for aquaculture. However, you have a problem with a large, round tank if you need to catch a fish. You'll either have to go in the pond after the fish or have a seine and someone to help you operate it.

13. CaliGold

CaliGold Well-Known Member

If painting the galvanized metal wouldn't work, you could still line it with regular pond liners, right? Although I have seen a lot of people make fish ponds out of these, so I'm sure the metal itself isn't damaging. I'd be more worried about it springing a leak, although I'm sure that's rare, too.

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this thread for ideas when we move into a bigger place and I can start breeding. :)

Joshua's golds likes this.
  14. Joshua's golds

I found a lot of posts that said they have used these galvanized tanks for goldfish, I did come across a post or two that said the zinc could harm fish on the Internet ( and everything on the internet must be true lol ) but if used a submersible filter that used activated charcoal that would help take any of the leached zinc out.... correct ?

Ps I grew up on a farm using them for watering troughs and these tanks very rarely leak, after a number of years like 8-10 the bottoms might rust out from sitting on wet dirt for years. Mine would be indoors and should do well on my painted concrete floors.

CaliGold likes this.
  15. Joshua's golds

And sorry Sharm for letting this thread get so far off topic of the Intex pools

16. Iaidoka

Iaidoka Well-Known Member

The intex pools seems rather popular with breeders, you can also construct an above ground pond, wooden sides with pond liners or pond sealant, this way you can choose the dimensions yourself.

17. sharm

sharm Active Member

@Joshua's golds That's okay. @shakaho I was under the impression that ranchus like a lower depth of water. I'm not sure that the round one would be a good fit for my living room. I have no intention of placing any of my fish outside. The weather variations here and possible predation by critters (raccoon, cats, birds of prey, possum, etc.) scare the heck out of me. If this stupid city would quit telling me what I can do with my own property, I would change part of the garage into a greenhouse using re-purposed windows and solar conversion heat and electricity. But the "city" has decided to control everything but the drug addicts and suppliers. Plus, I have to consider my grad school expenses.

Respectfully
    Mary

Lukass, Joshua's golds and CaliGold like this.
  18. shakaho

Indoors, the 4'x4'x1' Intex (or the identical, but cheaper ones) are excellent. I see no problems with them at all.

CaliGold and Joshua's golds like this.
  19. sharm

sharm Active Member

@shakaho Thank you for the input and for everyone's input for that matter. Am I correct about the depth of water in relation to ranchus?

Respectfully,
    Sharm

20. shakaho

I think so, but I don't keep ranchus so I can't say.