Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Intex pool use for goldfish

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by sharm, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Ununique

Ununique Well-Known Member

High Density Polyethylene, its just a fairly stable and strong plastic. That large farm pond linked is probably HDPE, the Rubbermaid stock tubs are likely a mixture of HDPE and something but I don't know for sure.

Yeah, they are more costly than the intex sort of pool, probably cheaper in the long run, but we each have different goals. I used the intex last summer because I couldn't find the right solution.

Also in case anyone is considering either of those links posted by Lukass, the difference is slight but the more expensive one has sturdier framing and a padding layer that goes inside the blue liner along the top of the pool. Probably there for its intended purpose so small children don't bonk their head on the frame and injure themselves.
    Also it has a slightly thicker liner, more akin to the stuff people use to line unground ponds although not nearly as thick as you would use for that purpose. The cheaper alternative has a thinner material with some sort of embedded fabric which probably allows it to have a similar strength.

Also if anyone wants some slightly used, I have about 6 for sale in the Central PA area, real cheap. You'd need to pick them up as they are assembled. :)

2. orangecrush

orangecrush Well-Known Member

You should start dealing drugs and build that greenhouse.:) Just kidding.

Jim.

Joshua's golds likes this.
  3. sharm

sharm Active Member

@orangecrush I only wish I was that dishonest. Seriously though, the city has "Code Enforcers" that drive around and give people "tickets (fines)" for any violation that doesn't fit the rules of those of power and influence (in other words money). I remember a WV where you could call your neighbors extended family and everyone looked out for each other. Even if I did changeover part of the garage, they'd find a way to fine me for it. This is not the world I anticipated having to live in.

4. sharm

sharm Active Member

@Ununique I'd take you up on that offer in a heartbeat, if grad school weren't so hectic and time-consuming.

5. orangecrush

@sharm Code enforcement around here doesn't give a s#*t, but we also have a lot of over grown/trashed yards and houses. I have called C.E. multiple times on my neighbor, and nothing ever got done. fortunately, after ten years, they sold the house. C.E. can be a curse or a blessing, depending on how it used. Have you talked to the city to see if you can put windows on your garage, and if so, what did they tell you ?

6. sharm

sharm Active Member

@orangecrush They are the ones controlling the whole thing. You cannot just get one permit to change something; you have to pay for multiple permits based on what you're doing for exampe: to remove the siding - one permit, replace with more framing - one permit, use windows instead of siding - one permit. Currently no permit is below $100 and they don't go in the influential neighborhoods only the blue collar neighborhoods.

7. orangecrush

Well of course, the Mayor and City Council live there.