Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

intex pools

Discussion in 'Goldfish in the Pond' started by Pondsailor, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

Hello everyone. I have a 12 x 30 index pool I'm using temporarily until my pond is done. Unfortunately due to a surgury I must wait to finish after winter. I live in southern Louisiana and need to know if I can keep myintex pool up and running through winter. I have 5 koi and 10 watonai with the largest of the group being about 9 inches. I had the watonai last winter in a 300 gal trough and with no problems. The winters here can have a day or two with temps below freezing but rising back to the low 40's. Would I need to insulate the pool someway or would it be ok as is? I would cover it with 6mm plastic.

Any suggestings greatly appreciated.

2. GlassGoldfish

GlassGoldfish sculpting ranchu daily Staff Member

Is the 12x30 measurement in inches or feet?

3. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

Its the intex pool that is 12ft (round) by 30 inches in depth.

4. nolaveils

nolaveils Breeder

I live in New Orleans. Have never had a problem with winter and I have veils in about 12 inches of water, inground for the most part.

5. GlassGoldfish

GlassGoldfish sculpting ranchu daily Staff Member

Yes they can overwinter in that just fine. Never feed when water temps are below 55F and if you get a warm snap during the winter you must still wait until the natural spring warm up to feed.

6. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

I understand about not feeding them. My first winter a few years ago when I first started with koi/goldfish I didn't know that and figured something was wrong that their not eating.

But with the pool, do you think I should insulate it on the outside walls? I know with the thin walls the exchange in outside temperature will be absorbed into the pool quicker; and visa versa.

7. reefed419

reefed419 Active Member

Pondsailor, I would not worry about insulating your pool. Keep your filter or air running all winter though. Fish will be fine. Think of all the fish that live up north, they survive winters much more intense than what u or I being in Pensacola FL will experience.

8. Pondsailor

Pondsailor Active Member

reefed419.....yea your right...and I know this. I guess I'm just being over skeptic on the idea of them being in a swimming pool over winter instead of an inground pond. If my watonai can do it definitely the koi can. Thanks.