Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Is the Fluval FX4 an overkill for 80g tank?

Discussion in 'Goldfish Gear' started by Emad M, May 13, 2017.

1. Emad M

Emad M Active Member

My current Sunsun filter has a 1000 litre ph capacity. I feel, for my 80g tank, it's not powerful enough. The flow rate is, frankly, embarrassing. Looking at the spray bar, it looks like something between 'spraying' and 'dripping' water. My water constantly has some little debris in it, too.

I was looking around for a slightly more powerful filter to do my tank at least 4 times per hour. Despite its high price tag, I found that the Fluval FX4 is very suitable because: it is double the flow rate, which will allow me to have extra filtration and also getting rid of the sponge filter that I detest. It's also 8w extra to what I have running right now. So, it won't make much difference in power consumption.

That being said, I'm a bit worried the strong flow creating a powerful current in the tank. Which, from experience, I know that my goldfish don't like much. Is the FX4 an overkill for an 80g tank?

2. big A

big A Active Member

I personally would get another external and run two at once, one in each corner. You get much more filtration for a weaker flow that way. You can position the outlets to "cancel" each other out a bit.

3. Emad M

Emad M Active Member

I went out today to check the FX4, only to realise...oh boy! It won't fit properly in my tank cabinet. Had to settle down for another filter with 1600 LPH flow and a built-in UV light. And one-third of the price. The whole reason I'm upgrading my filter is that I don't want two filters running in the tank, least of which is the electricity consumption. In my area in the UK, electricity prices make you feel we're in a post-apocalyptic society.