Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Izumo Nankin Import

Discussion in 'Goldfish Breeds' started by bkrhodesva, Sep 19, 2015.

1. bkrhodesva

bkrhodesva Professional Breeder

People,
    Let's work to make this happen. If enough people are interested we can make this happen, whether we import ourselves or we get someone like PAUL Ranchumaniax to work with us.
    Let's discuss!
    Bryan

2. Ryukin_king

Ryukin_king New Member

How many would need to be interested

3. bkrhodesva

not sure exactly, hope an expert would chime in and speak up but shipping and permits would be in the thousands I imagine. Im hoping that if enough people are interested someone like PAUL who already imports could bring some in and makes some cash off us.

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

jeff hiller bought all of Paul's Izumo's when Paul left the business a couple of years ago. I do not think he has been able to breed them. From what I hear these are not the easiest fish to breed and prosper

5. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

I think Ichthius also imported this variety, not sure. He'll probably chime in to confirm and if he did, what happened to those fish.

6. afnaveils

afnaveils Goldfish breeder

What would be a potentially good cross towards developing the nankin in North America? Ranchu x ryukin? What do you think?

7. bkrhodesva

I would hate to try and breed the dorsal fin back out. I crossed a bubble eye to a fantail and only 2 of the offspring had a partially missing dorsal fin.

8. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I was thinking that we should start with an egg fish. If you look at page 129 in Joe Smart's book Goldfish breeding and genetics, that fish looks like what we should start with to create the nankin here. I do not think we should use anything with a dorsal fin. Just my opinion.

9. harzan

harzan Professional Breeder

These are very interesting fish. 2009 pr so I brought in about $10,000 worth of fish and most died. I thought to bring in what I want and sell the rest as a share. Our water is different all over the world and just wouldn't bother any large quantity. I think a guy like Paul would be ideal. Will he do it and does he still???

I know of a well known importer that has shared similar issues and I heard Paul has had some too. It's part of the game and that's why a profit needs to be made. I had the nankin and breeding the few that lived was a challenge. I crossed to a calico but as usually the blue was lost and I lost interest. Nankin are a wonderful variety, but Shukin are also. Plus they are here in the U.S. Hawaii for sure. I have blues.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  10. maileen22092

maileen22092 Maileen

I can't afford to buy a fish should this group import actually happen but I'd be more than willing to donate money to the cause :)

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

11. bkrhodesva

12. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Well not quite interested in the Nankin, but the Jikin lower on the page are really my cup of tea. If you are ordering from then I would desire some Jikin...."..

13. Jikin Junkie

Jikin Junkie Well-Known Member

That page has has been up for a while, I'd say years. The stock photos also took me in.

14. Tank Girl

Tank Girl Active Member

Harzan - wow! You just hit two of my weaknesses - shukins and blues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Cincy Ranchu

Cincy Ranchu Professional Breeder

Still communicating with Ken F

16. bkrhodesva

I have the breeder in japan I just need some importer to handle his end.