Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.
  1. Guest
    Friendly note from GFK. Please review this beginner guide for your fish.

Japan standards

Discussion in 'All Questions from Newbies' started by Pepeperon, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Hi,
    I live in Japan and have just started up my new tank for my goldfishes. I have local pet stores around me but I went to this very famous guy in the prefecture I live in to my goldfishes. I told him about my tank setup and he rod me to have a minimum of 6-8 goldfishes in my tank as they have too much space for just 3 goldfishes. My tank is only 25 gallons but a wider one (90cm).

He showed me his goldfish collection and he has over 30 tanks in his shop and his personal home that are filled with goldfish. I am aware that goldfish need lots of space but he is telling me the opposite.

His fish are all healthy, eating 5 times a day(minimum) in small tanks. He raises goldfish so that he enters contests in Japan and has won may titles over the last 20 years. I was shocked to to see two of the award winners selling for $50,000 USD each.

Sorry for the long post, but why do you think most Japanese people think the other way around. I followed his advice and got more fish than I’m suppose to in my tank and doing daily water changes to make up for it.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

[​IMG]

3. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Sorry, to be clear, 30 tanks are the ones he does not have for sale and are his personal fish.

4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

Did you ask him how much water he changes?

5. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

The scary part is that he doesn’t. Some of his tanks, are left untouched for weeks and some are changed daily. The ones he does daily will be covered in food 5 times a day with a timer. He feeds them so that there is more than 10 minutes worth of food. He does not pick up any leftovers and has them eat like that the whole day. I haven’t researched how it’s done elsewhere but his style seems a little crazy.

6. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

7. nygold

nygold Well-Known Member

Japan is WAY ahead of the US when it comes to goldfish, ask him to show you how it's done and do that.

8. Nagisa

Nagisa Active Member

As someone coming from that culture, I am sad to admit that it is a common practice....
    Most hobbyist will tell you goldfish only need 5 liter of water each, feed twice a day, and change water once every 2 weeks in the Summer, once a month in the winter....... >_<;

I was once being told (when I was a child) that goldfish are "Summer decoration" that suppose to die as summer ends.
    Average households seem to see them as a short-lived decoration rather than pets.

It feels that most people value Koi more than goldfish :\

9. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I’m going to bring this up again as a lot of breeders and fish enthusiasts here in japan keep telling me that 10 litres of water is enough for one fish.
    This one guy who lives near me has a 15 gallon with 7 mid size goldfish. They all look happy and he has told me that they are close to 5 years old. His water looks green too.

10. joe

joe Well-Known Member

most serious Asian top view ranchu breeders either change their water daily or have their fish in large vats in green water. They are very astute at reading how their fish are behaving and based their water changes on that. For us it is better to abide by the 20 gallon per fish rule as a minimum, practice large extensive water changes, and, provide really good food

11. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Can u explain this...I went to see the breeder (explained earlier in the thread) around Christmas and he asked me how often I was doing water changes. I answered almost everyday and he got kind of mad at me. He asked me why I change so much? I told him since I’m overstocked and I feed quite a bit as you told me so. Is daily water changes not a good thing? If so, why can breeders do it and I can’t?

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I am no expert in this culture but from what I read they raise their fish with very traditional methods such as no filter, no aquariums, sometimes only an air stone. Like I said earlier they rely on how the fish looks, how it swims, the color of the fish, the look and smell of the water, etc. Additionally they have been breeding the same line of fish for possibly generations, they know every nuance of the animal. Me personally I believe we need to rely on some technology, low stocking levels, good food, and water changes. I really respect them for their knowledge but I respect our way of doing things too.

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

See if you can get involved in one of their ranchu clubs. See if you can become a sensei and have them teach you. It would be such an honor if they would allow that for you.

14. calicomj

calicomj Well-Known Member

People underestimate the value of green water. It destroys ammonia because it feeds off of it. This is why they're able to get away with no filtration or crappy filtration. The fish can also feed on the green water. I had NASTY green water last spring and my fish all grew a lot in it and had lovely color. My pond hadn't matured yet and I saw no water quality trouble or anything. It looked absolutely horrible and I couldn't even see my fish, but boy did it do them tons of good.

Attached Files:

15. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

I am trying to get into the aikouka club. Which is the goldfish lover (mania) club. I will join the event in July which they have in Tokyo and learn lots there too.

16. Pepeperon

Pepeperon Active Member

Seems like most breeders with tanks or ponds use the green water. I like the idea of green water outside but I’m not so sure I like the idea for indoor tanks especially ones in the living room.