Welcome to aurora.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the aurora community.

Japanese goldfish keepers’ secret superfood

Discussion in 'Goldfish Food' started by ponchu, Aug 18, 2015.

1. ponchu

ponchu New Member

Hello goldfish lovers!

Since I haven’t seen any posts/articles written in English about the use of cocoa powder for goldfish, I thought I’d submit a post.

Cocoa powder is used among Japanese goldfish keepers (especially ranchu and pearlscale owners) to treat floatiness due to indigestion, and also for dropsy/pop-eye treatment. Well, it's not a "secret" in Japan - it's widely used, but seems virtually unknown in non-Japanese speaking community.

My ranchu’s dropsy was cured using only cocoa powder and nothing else. I don’t know if anyone has done scientific research on this, but maybe the fibre, fat and potassium in cocoa flush out all the nasties in their guts. Maybe something in cocoa inhibit the unwanted bacteria activities, who knows. It worked like magic for me, and didn’t cost me a penny - I already had cocoa in my pantry.

Only use pure cocoa powder, with no added sugar or milk, which is usually found on the "baking needs" aisle of a supermarket. The fish will do PLENTY of brown poop like you won’t believe.

Here’s how to use cocoa: cocoa balls, cocoa-coated pellets, and cocoa bath.

1. Cocoa balls - add a little water to cocoa powder to make a dough, roll it into tiny balls using your fingertips, leave to dry and feed them to fish in place of their normal diet. Some people mix ground fish pellets to the cocoa to entice the fish to eat them. A fair bit of cocoa may come out through their gills when they are chomping on the balls, but don’t be alarmed, that’s expected.

2. Cocoa-coated pellets are for fussy eaters - soak your usual pellets in a little water, coat the food with a layer of cocoa powder, let them dry and feed them to the fish. Not as effective as cocoa balls, but less likely to be rejected.

3. Cocoa bath is only for use in quarantine tanks. Dissolve a small amount of cocoa powder into the quarantine tank. 1 teaspoon of cocoa in 30 litres (8 gallons) of water seems to be the most common formula. Don’t feed the fish, and don't use a filter. The fish will take the cocoa in while breathing. Let the fish swim (or lie) in the cocoa bath for 2 or 3 days. IMPORTANT: Aerate the tank at all times. You may need to change half of the water and add half of cocoa everyday (or twice a day, depending on your tank setup), as water quality will deteriorate much faster in cocoa bath compared to regular tank water.

Not many Japanese fishkeepers use gel food, so I haven’t read about anyone using cocoa-gel in Japan, but that’s what I do. I add some cocoa into gel food. My goldfish love it, and the powder doesn’t spread out into the water like other methods listed above.

Hope this helps!

PLEAE NOTE: This is a folk remedy. Please use your discretion if you decide to take this on board. I will not be held responsible if your fish gets sick/er or die or your equipment is ruined because of what you’ve tried based on the information found on this post.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    SimplyDez likes this.
  2. *Ci*

*Ci* Goldie Guru

Very interesting. Where, exactly, did you get this information?

danarea likes this.
  3. ponchu

ponchu New Member

Not from one particular source, but from many blog posts and other websites written by goldfish keepers that I've read over the years. Try googling ココア浴 (cocoa bath) or ココア(cocoa) 転覆病 (swim bladder disorder) 治療 (remedy), and use online translator, you can see for yourself.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  4. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

How much cocoa do you use in your gel food?

5. ponchu

ponchu New Member

How long is a piece of string? It depends on how much they eat, how often you feed them, and how much of an effect you want from cocoa. I change the amount I put in according to what suits them at that time. You need to experiment a bit to see what works best for your fish.

SoldOnGold likes this.
  6. NewYorkGold

NewYorkGold Member

How much are you adding to the gel food? Very interesting remedy!

7. Aquayne

Aquayne Active Member

I wonder if it is the caffeine?

8. shakaho

shakaho Well-Known Member

I have had four or five people (on another forum) with an otherwise healthy floaty fish try this. A couple reported some improvement, but dropped the treatment anyway.

Duckweed works better.

9. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

Cocoa only contains 1-.5%

10. Aquayne

Aquayne Active Member

"Cocoa only contains 1-.5%"

That's still 100% more than zero.

11. GoldenMcNewbie

GoldenMcNewbie Well-Known Member

100% of 0 is 0.

12. ryukin96

ryukin96 Member

I've used this for awhile now. Yes, duckweed works better than anything. However, duckweed is not easily accessible to everyone. Cocoa will always be good and can be bought anywhere. Cocoa powder does work pretty well, and it's fast too. If you need immediate relief use cocoa, not peas. Unfortunately, it doesn't work as well in gel food as it does on it's own or with food. If you do use it in Gel-food, use about 1 tablespoon per a cup of liquid gel food.